Was going to become a maker

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
There are lots. Generally high carbon steels for cutting. 01 tool steel is the most common I'd say. But if its a made knife then it will be hardened, so I'm guessing you are looking at diamond bits. Not my field, but best guess I have.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
lol biker.
do you know what steel the knife makers are using bud and is it engravable????????????????? any info gratfully recieved

Most common by a maker in the UK? O1.

However, there are loads more - 52100, D2, A2, Elmax, CPM S30V, 15N20, 1095, 1080, CPM Rex-121, Damasteel, N690, M4, etc, etc, etc.

Is setting up with engraving going to cost you much? I don't want to sound negative but you've said that engraving is more popular than scrimshaw - what research have you done to find that out? I make the odd knife but I don't have a queue of people asking anything about getting any engraving work done. It's something that barely gets mentioned. You do see the odd bit here and there but not much. I would hate for you to get set-up and find there actually is no market.

Can I ask what sort of engraving you're talking about - can you show some examples?

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I didn't see the mora thread but have read through this. It's nice to see all the support and I would agree with everyones encouragement to carry on making stuff but I would suggest make it for yourself, make what you want or make stuff for mates. If you find it disheartening to post stuff and not get lots of positive feedback then I would suggest it is a rough road you are on. People who make stuff have to deal with disappointment after disappointment after disappointment. I have been doing it full time professionally for 20 years, I still keep thinking I have just designed the next big thing that will finally make me a decent living, it doesn't happen. There are rewards and occasionally some wonderful positive feedback but you have to be able to take a whole lot of knocks and get up and get going again if you are going down that road, don't stress, don't do what you think might be popular, do whatever you are passionate about and sod what anyone else thinks.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
I think Robin has hit the spot.
Do what you enjoy making for yourself, if you have a real passion for it, you'll make what you want anyway. With a bit of luck other people will like what your doing and want some of it.
I love making classic V-Lam skateboards, and hoped to sell them to make some money, in the end I sold 1 and gave a few away, even though I had lots of positive remarks.
It doesn't stop me making them though, I just enjoy making them for myself.

Strangest thing was, I offer bespoke builds only, but it seems that people are less interested in a bespoke item than a production item.
I think its down to people wanting to be told/shown what they want, rather than deciding themselves.
I suppose you get the same thing with Flash.

Keep on trying though if you enjoy it.

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
It's usually 01 tool steel. It's easy enough to work in its raw, annealed, state, but might be a problem when hardened. Would you like me to harden you a bit and send it to practice on?

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Bolsters(on penknives) are usually nickle silver and are very engravable.
Hennie Haynes also sell a rough rider slipjoint with white bone scales so the bolsters and the scales are usable.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Most common by a maker in the UK? O1.

However, there are loads more - 52100, D2, A2, Elmax, CPM S30V, 15N20, 1095, 1080, CPM Rex-121, Damasteel, N690, M4, etc, etc, etc.

Is setting up with engraving going to cost you much? I don't want to sound negative but you've said that engraving is more popular than scrimshaw - what research have you done to find that out? I make the odd knife but I don't have a queue of people asking anything about getting any engraving work done. It's something that barely gets mentioned. You do see the odd bit here and there but not much. I would hate for you to get set-up and find there actually is no market.

Can I ask what sort of engraving you're talking about - can you show some examples?

i'm virtually set for engraving just got to get the correct gravers for the steel used i thinki'm going to give both scrimshaw and graving a go .i think the reason on here nobody asks about either of my ideas is that as far as i know nobody offers it
so my plan is to do some test pieces to post up and see how we fair

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE