Was going to become a maker

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I am in no way at all criticising your work on the Mora - I can't do these things myself so all power to those who can - however I can see that part of the problem may have been the manner in which you tried to "sell" it to others
Anything considered !!!!!! this has to go chaps it will not get used as it's not to my liking.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MADE IT AND HATE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you really think other folk are going to be falling over themselves to obtain something which even the maker hates? ;)

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Go for it, certainly no one else doing it! Check out etching too, may be a cheaper option with stencils and ferric chloride.
Not into etching bud it's too generic I like the more custom Look freehand stuff.
Do you think it would take off and maybe something people would want on knives and other cherished belongings

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Not into etching bud it's too generic I like the more custom Look freehand stuff.
Do you think it would take off and maybe something people would want on knives and other cherished belongings
as stated mate, i would be interested, in you doing some work on my knives, and if i can put some work your way i will.
get some steel and get cracking lets see what you can do mate.
really looking forward to seeing what you come up with

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
I am in no way at all criticising your work on the Mora - I can't do these things myself so all power to those who can - however I can see that part of the problem may have been the manner in which you tried to "sell" it to others

Do you really think other folk are going to be falling over themselves to obtain something which even the maker hates? ;)
I'm not a maker bud but what I am is honest just because I do not like something does that generally mean that the rest of the forum will follow like sheep

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

If you're good at it the I can't see why not. Price dependant.

Have you thought a thought about scrimshaw too? Easier setup.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
The first time I put something up as a maker I had no buyers either, you got to get the trust and the guys and girls have to get to know you, all I can say is keep it up, just cause you may have not hit most people taste the first time, you will do....

I did not renew my Makers badge once, then made something for myself, and someone said put it on here again and guess what it sold, so now from time to time I put something up for sale.

Dont get down hearten mate, learn from your experience, and go forward...

Best of luck mate we all start at the beginning.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
If you're good at it the I can't see why not. Price dependant.

Have you thought a thought about scrimshaw too? Easier setup.
Never heard of scrimshaw bud!!!! And to be fair I would rather do skill swaps pricing a skill like freehand engraving is virtually impossible so I would probably do it for the odd new knife or a custom sheath that way both parties are trading in skill set no cash

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Never heard of scrimshaw bud!!!! And to be fair I would rather do skill swaps pricing a skill like freehand engraving is virtually impossible so I would probably do it for the odd new knife or a custom sheath that way both parties are trading in skill set no cash

Scrimshaw is engraving in bone or ivory. Usually filled in with black, but occasionally with colour

120407ScrimshawDragon.jpg

Thomas_Tuttell_-_Scrimshaw_Sundial_-_Walters_200822.jpg

Last edited:

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I make knives with no tools and etch blades freehand, keep at it mate and the skills will come with time. 3 more knives and you'll look back and laugh I reckon. Each one improves no end from what you learned on the last

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Fella, it was a first attempt. No one is that good first try. You have to practice, be critical and build up the tools and materials and skills you need to make what's desirable. Even then, what one finds desirable is not the same as another.

Yep the mora was not to everyone's taste. But honestly. I'd have kept it. It was your hard work. My first Woodlore clone handle job was terrible. So boxy. But it was mine and I kept it for ages. I bit back I looked at it again and reworked it. Now its a much better feel, looks better and is more functional. Still not perfect, but I now know where I went wrong first time. My HillBill reindeer handle was a much better job as I learned from it. Even that's not perfect as I could have lost some of the marrow.

Its all learning. But you have to be critical as others will be even if they say it or not. My best advice. Make stuff for you. Get happy with it. Once you are happy, others will be too :)

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
Whatever you do, please don't give up. I'll be honest and say that the knife wasn't to my taste and I would not have wanted to trade anything for it. However, it was certainly better than I could do, so I would never criticise your work.

You have to remember that it was your first attempt and as such it was a damn good effort. Put it down to experience and build on the knowledge gained to improve.

It is hard to accept sometimes, but no-one has the right to demand that others use/buy your goods or services. It is all about supply and demand - if you want to sell or trade an item, that item has be something that others want. Unfortunately, on this occasion, none of the forum members wanted your knife enough to swap something for it. That is not say that it will always be thus - you must learn from this and make future items more marketable.

You are clearly skilled and artistic, so stick at it and keep refining your product until we are queuing up at your door!

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
i just felt it strange that most if not all on here have a mora ,yet nobody wanted a bespoke one.
i would of thought that a custom mora would of been like hot cakes HOW WRONG WAS I ????? never mind it's gone now lets just say i wont be doing another mora re handel. other bladses maybe, just for me and closefriends .

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Keep an eye on what is selling and people tastes, I've found that if something dont sell in the first couple of days then they dont sell that well,

Its just like going in a shop and the shop assistant walking up to you and saying can I help you, ok the first time but if they keep on coming up it get a bit shall we say annoying... and thats when the doors close as far as I concerned, if I want it i'll pick it up.. I would of thought most are the same.

Also do a few bits so people can see what your skills are like post pics up and how your've done it, let your buyers get comfortable with your skill level.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
i just felt it strange that most if not all on here have a mora ,yet nobody wanted a bespoke one.
i would of thought that a custom mora would of been like hot cakes HOW WRONG WAS I ????? never mind it's gone now lets just say i wont be doing another mora re handel. other bladses maybe, just for me and closefriends .

At the risk of offending...

Its probably down to aesthetics. I think keeping things simple broaden the market.

I have one of these made by Hugo in a similar vein but HVK blades
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88144

Its a very simple design that works well and is my go to whittling knife. No guard, bolster, swage line, pommel etc. Good choice of materials too. Walnut is nice and tactile. Its simple and has broad appeal. Neatly made.

If I'd needed a knife and had evaluated your first attempt as a potential purchase then the cow bone bolster, large guard and swage line aren't my cup of tea. A simple handle shape with more mainstream materials would have a broader appeal. The changes you made did a great job in ratifying some of those issues however at that point I think the thread had become somewhat 'polluted'. A pushy sales technique puts people off, as does saying you hate it - it may be honesty but it ain't going to shift your item.

I think plenty of good advice has been given above and personally id love to see you giving scrimshaw a go, given your day job I bet you'd really shine at it.

Last edited:

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Keep an eye on what is selling and people tastes, I've found that if something dont sell in the first couple of days then they dont sell that well,

Its just like going in a shop and the shop assistant walking up to you and saying can I help you, ok the first time but if they keep on coming up it get a bit shall we say annoying... and thats when the doors close as far as I concerned, if I want it i'll pick it up.. I would of thought most are the same.

Also do a few bits so people can see what your skills are like post pics up and how your've done it, let your buyers get comfortable with your skill level.

fair point that stu . i think the engraving might work on here i'll try anyway

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
At the risk of offending...

Its probably down to aesthetics. I think keeping things simple broaden the market.

I have one of these make by Hugo in a similar vein but HVK blades
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88144

Its a very simple design that works well and is my go to whittling knife. No guard, bolster, swage line, pommel etc. Good choice of materials too. Walnut is nice and tactile. Its simple and has broad appeal. Neatly made.

If I'd needed a knife and had evaluated your first attempt as a potential purchase then the cow bone bolster, large guard and swage line aren't my cup of tea. A simple handle shape with more mainstream materials would have a broader appeal. The changes you made did a great job in ratifying those issues however at that point I think the thread had become somewhat 'polluted'. A pushy sales technique puts people off, as does saying you hate it - it may be honesty but it ain't going to shift your item.

I think plenty of good advice has been given above and personally id love to see you giving scrimshaw a go, given your day job I bet you'd really shine at it.

i'm going to look into scrimshaw see whats involved cost of kit etc then maybe give it a go. thanks for the heads up bud much appreciated

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Trev, forget that bloody mora and crack on buddy. There was nothing really wrong with it, just unfortunate the way it panned out. Your a talented fella so stop putting yourself down and go for it, come on mate lets see what you can do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE