Was going to become a maker

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hey! don't become disheartened, just because of one failed attempt at swopping a mora pal, you must be talented to be a tattooist! The old addage" If at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again"

Chin up mate.

Ivan...

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I made lots of stuff and had lots of failures before I even contemplated becoming a maker. Find a niche, get good at it, sell stuff. But don't expect to retire on the money :D

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Ah come on mate, firsts (It was a damn site better than any I've done!) should be kept for posterity anyway. So when you've look back you can see how far you've come :). Practice makes perfect and all that!

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
bud, dont be daft mate, that should make you strive even harder.
ill tell you a little story, a long back when i first started this leather making malarky, i was told by another leathersmith and member on here, that i was not in his league, and that he had nothing to worry about regarding my leather work, no i had only made about 3 items, this really got to me at the time, and nearly made me give up trying, then one day i sat there, and thought you no what, ill show that bloody bleep bleep, and i made it my mission to make my work better than his, to show him that i was in his so called league, for ages i hated him for what he said, and now, i would shake his hand, as it was the best thing that ever happened to me.
the moral of the storey is use that to your advantage and keep trying untill you get to where you are happy, im never completley happy with my work, the ocd, does not help with that, but i dont think any body who makes stuff is always happy, as if you were you would not keep striving to make your stuff better if that makes sense bud.
take care.
lee.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Indeed. You can't always be happy with what you make. You'd never learn anything if you were.

Making something is about the fun of making it I think, the end result or even the reward of selling it doesn't matter so much.
And don't give up so easily! It's just one knife!:D

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Yeah dont give in mate,

Just keep going, one day you will look back an think "wow, look how far I have come"

Another story:

When I first started making my walking sticks they were not good,

I made one which was named by my family as the community stick, not because everybody could use it but because it took the " whole community" to lift it. I got some ribbing for that one.

But now Ive made quite a few and have sold them or gifted them on to people, who seem to think they are good.

Again Keep going mate, If at first you don't succeed......

good luck in your future endevours

All the best

Craig

Last edited:

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
I put as much effort and attention to detail into that mora ,as I do into my tattoos .
2000 views was it really that bad or am I missing something. Ok I re modelled the Handel by removing the swage line and thining the shoulders out.And still no interest,

Anybody on here ever done what I had with sod all tools I whittled the Handel ,hand carved the swage line ,hand rubbed down the bone bolster and hand cut it to fit. I just got a real negative vibe from some ,bearing in mind I had never done anything like this before knife handling or leatherwork.
To be fair I got better feed back when I made a sheath from industrial Lino .
Rant over and sorry. Gona go lick my wounds now and think what else I can do ,maybe pyrography as I'm an artist and no knife maker.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
what you should do, is the pyro, on leather, it looks amazing there is a member on here, that does this, i cant think of her name, but her pyro work on leather just blew me away, and i dont say that very often i can tell you.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
what you should do, is the pyro, on leather, it looks amazing there is a member on here, that does this, i cant think of her name, but her pyro work on leather just blew me away, and i dont say that very often i can tell you.
but make another knife make it better than the last and try again.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
I know who you are referring to lee and yes she is very good .i have noticed nobody on here to my knowlege does engraving I do this too maybe I'll buy the kit again and offer a bespoke service on blades etc .ahhhh hell I don't know what to do .

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
mate if you do that, ill be your first customer, I'm in the process of doing the knives too this year mate, just waiting for the blade show to pick up me new baby.
and a new start, and a new adventure for me bud. this is something that i have wanted to do for such a long time, and have finnaly bit the bullet, i make so much leather work for knife makers, its about time i started to cloth me own, lol

greensurfingbear

If you're basing the decision on the lack of interest in your first ever attempt then I'd agree with what others are saying dint be disheartened. It takes time and practice to become a decent crafts man, old apprenticeships used to last years before you were considered good enough to be classed as a craftsman.

Orric

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Chap it was your first knife and you need to allow for that. practice, practice and practice some more. Nobody gets good overnight. We've all made stuff that didnt appeal to others and negative vibes are how you learn whats popular (commercially salable) and whats not (gift it on fodder). Dont get down, get working

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
mate if you do that, ill be your first customer, I'm in the process of doing the knives too this year mate, just waiting for the blade show to pick up me new baby.
and a new start, and a new adventure for me bud. this is something that i have wanted to do for such a long time, and have finnaly bit the bullet, i make so much leather work for knife makers, its about time i started to cloth me own, lol
I've always loved engraving maybe I should crack on and save up for the kit .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE