Warning Adventure 1 in Glasgow be warned when buying Lowas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Woodsmoke, with the added information of your boots being GTX-lined I can safely say that it is totally impossible to repair these potruding nails without removing the complete sole as is done when re-soleing.
Keep us informed what the Uk distributors and Lowa will say and do.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Hi Woodsmoke

I have worked in retail managment for 14 years and am very familier with laws concerning faulty goods.
You are entitled to repair ,replacment or refund as this problem is caused by a default with your product and has not been caused by wear and tear

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Hi Woodsmoke

I have worked in retail managment for 14 years and am very familier with laws concerning faulty goods.
You are entitled to repair ,replacment or refund as this problem is caused by a default with your product and has not been caused by wear and tear

And I may add that once this store takes back your goods all they need to do is send them back to there dealer who in turn will credit there account.They will lose no money by helping you.
Sound to me like the Manager being difficult for the sake of it.I have known managers in the past who refuse to back down after even when they realise they have made an error in Judgment.
Trading standards will back you with this

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Keep us posted on this.

If all else fails, it's very easy to sue in the small claims court without a lawyer. I've done this twice before and the other parties settled before it actually came to court.

Well this is how I dealt with this and what the response was:

1. Online email to consumer direct.
2. Email to Lowa contact in the UK and to Germany
3.Received an immediate response from LOWA Uk asking me to send the boots to them and they would replace.
4. Receiveved a call from trading standards who were offering to step in and force a replacement or refund.
5. Contaced LOWA UK saying it's too much cost to send them down to England and why should I incurr this, so they contacted the manager of Adventure 1 and insisted that they replace them.
6. I did this this morning and apart from a slight bit of what looked like copydex on a small bit of the sole they looked ok. No nails inside so far.

The manager of Adventure 1 is a guy called Bill, this how he treated me, I for one have spent several hundred pounds in this shop in the last 12 months. I will take my custom elsewhere from now on. It's not worth the hassle and at the end of the day my time is precious and I don't want to waste it dealing with unwanted hassle like this.

Thanks for the advice (never tried small claims but it sounds like a good one to do if needed) and good on LOWA for standing by its customers.

WS

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
No problem, if I can help with knowledge, I do it.
Strange enough, I am myself on the brink of getting quite p****d about an order I did myself with a british store:
Ordered an payed online at the 11th, got the notification of completed order from SagePay the same day.
No order confirmation from the shop since then.
No reaction to my mail from the 20th, where I just asked if everything went right.
Oh, b****r

Last edited:

maximus otter

Sep 14, 2003
UK
Sale of Goods Act, Faulty Goods.

Relevant or Related Legislation:

Sale of Goods Act 1979. Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994. The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002.

Key Facts:

• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

• Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

• Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

• It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

• For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

• A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

• If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit

• In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years).

• If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)

• After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove the lack of conformity.

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

maximus otter

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I bought a pair of scarpas from clearwater 8 years ago. It is a good shop as is Adventure 1.

Knowing Bill, am surprised at his response. However I chose to replace my scarpas with Altbergs instead, a simple drive to the factory in Richmond meant I chose the best boots for me.

Aug 20, 2011
coatbridge
Regarding the lowa boots
Regarding the problem with the Lowa Boots. I used to work there and remember this dude. I work there for 3 years and only ever had 2 complaints regarding Lowa Boots. He wanted a full refund. The boots had been badly worn and he had no receipt. It was a small problem with a wrinkle in the insole and could have easily been repaired. The manager had no idea when he bought the boots so offered him a replacement pair. This is always the case with Lowa boots as Lowa replace them with no fuss. This character refused and was adamant that he was entitled to a full refund. To be honest the boots were knackered.
No complaint was made to Lowa or the distributors despite the complainer being given the telephone number.
All this nonsense about him announcing to a full shop what just happened and the shop emptied shows you that this character lives in a dreamland. Believe me it is a complete fabrication and he making laying himself open for libel.
Adventure 1 has been in business for 25 years and it is a pity that any nutter that has a complaint can go onto forums like this and make up a pack of lies and try and destroy the good name of a decent retailer.
If Adventure 1 wanted to take this guy to court and make a claim for libel then I would be willing to go as a witness.
This guy has the humph because he could not get a refund for a pair of boots that has seen better days

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Raising your voice never helps, alienates you (and would get you evicted from any shop I owned). I don't know how libel laws work with internet forums but there will come a day when shouting off online will lead to a court case I would think.

If you think you have received bad service, just walk away and seek help from the likes of Trading Standards, doing a 'Tarzan' in the store will just not help you; to be honest I'd be ashamed to admit on a forum that I'd lost self control and 'thrown my toys out the pram' so to speak.

I hope your problems are sorted out peacefully.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have you seen the date on this thread ?

Welcome to the forum Dalreada, but we know w00dsmoke and he is entitled to his opinion.
He didn't join just to post agin the company.

Many of us who live nearby know Adventure One, especially since Clearwater seems to have disappeared.
Why should someone we've camped with not give his opinion ?

Besides, if you'd read the entire thread you would see that Lowa backed him up and Adventure One replaced the boots as originally requested a fortnight after they were bought and found to be faulty.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

BobvanVelzen

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2010
Netherlands
Just ask your dealer to send them to lowa, or have their certified repairman look them over and have him decide. And its in their right to offer a repair, if it won't cut it, of impossible, they will replace them. Just don't yell in a store... I work in one and it doesn't help a bit. Also the guy your yelling at just does as he is told. You have rights, but also the common curtisy (spelling?) to be fair.

Aug 20, 2011
coatbridge
This guy is talking mince.I remember him.I used to work at Adventure1 and we only ever had a couple of pairs of boots that were faulty.I remember he was asked to leave the boots for 20 minutes to have them looked at to see the fault.The boots had been worn and this is usual practice.It the boots can be repaird then they will, if they cant then a replacment or refund is offered.
This guy would have none of it and wanted a full refund but would not let us have a look at the boots. As he would not allow us to check the boots over he was advised to take up his case with the trading standards.
We never heard another word from him , trading standars or Lowa.
It is a pity that some people who have a grudge can say what they like and people beleive them without hearing the other side of the story. There is alway 2 sides to a story.
Lowa alway replace faulty boots but they do insist that the boots are checked out to see what the fault is. Adventure 1 would have no reason not to give a replacement if the boots were found to be faulty.In fact this is what was offered.
Some people just will not be reasonable

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE