Is there a Scuba diver in the house?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
A lecturer from Aberystwyth is spending 24 hours in a ditch up a mountain to raise awareness about soil ecology. Fascinating stuff being livestreamed these days but am more interested in their clothing as she's wearing a divers dry-suit. I've never worn one and had less than comfortable experiences with some rain gear collecting sweat like a Fremen still suit. So curious to see how they get on.

soil.png

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Yes and as she isnt moving I imagine she would be fine combined with the underfleece.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Not a dive drysuit as there is no low pressure input usually seen in the middle of the chest. Not a great photo but I also can't see a dump valve usually situated near the shoulders.

I reckon it's a immersion style suit used for canoe /kayaking. The majority of those are made from membrane style fabric so breathable and dry on the inside. Well chosen undergarments like a fleece undersuit would turn the ensemble into a sleeping bag affair.

I wouldn't be traipsing around hills in one!

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Crewsaver Atacama Pro Drysuit

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Beat me to the kayaking/canoeing drysuit from crewsaver. Definitely breathable enough for lying in a hole dug in the ground. I never owned a one piece drysuit but used wetsuit with a good drycag out of similar type of fabric and a good neoprene deck. Since I rarely came out of the kayak that was as good as a dry suit. You sweated when kayaking but by wearing less warm layers than walking kit you use the physical activity to keep warm.

In this case very static so those suits have plenty of space inside for extra layers. The person doing this publicity stunt could have fitted one of those all in one sleeping bag suits, the selkie i think it's called if needed in the suit.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Beat me to the kayaking/canoeing drysuit from crewsaver. Definitely breathable enough for lying in a hole dug in the ground. I never owned a one piece drysuit but used wetsuit with a good drycag out of similar type of fabric and a good neoprene deck. Since I rarely came out of the kayak that was as good as a dry suit. You sweated when kayaking but by wearing less warm layers than walking kit you use the physical activity to keep warm.

In this case very static so those suits have plenty of space inside for extra layers. The person doing this publicity stunt could have fitted one of those all in one sleeping bag suits, the selkie i think it's called if needed in the suit.
She’s an artist that has done a lot of art activities (not sure what to call them) of various kinds in the past, so I wouldn’t call it a publicity stunt.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I would and from what she seems to have said to the BBC journalist she's kind of saying it's about getting publicity for raising climate change and soil issues. It is a stunt to gain publicity, possibly as much for the lecturer of fine arts as soil issues.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE