Warm Trousers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
shinobi said:
I can second the Icebreakers. They are fantastic. I got mine from Field and Trek in Brighton.

Cheers,

Martin

They look great but as with everything produced and sold at reasonable price abroad they are :***: expensive by the time they get to Britain. £90 for a thermal top :shock:

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I do not know much about -25C as I've never been out in it but I have wandered around the UK in winter, what I usually use is thin longjohns and a semi-wind proof trouser (the fast drying type), however for some reason I have never understood, two thin layers of socks (or one good quality thick sock) seems to provide more warmth than the longjohns. i.e. if your feet are warm, your legs will be too. Anyone know why? or am I the only one here like that?

Greg

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
greg2935 said:
i.e. if your feet are warm, your legs will be too. Anyone know why? or am I the only one here like that?
Nope, you're not alone. it's a medical fact. As you get colder feet, the blood retreats from the extremities and the skin surface to maintain a nice warm body core. As your legs are long and have a large surface area in relation to their size, the blood loss is noticeable quicker. The same is true if the rest of your body and head cool down, warm blood will be prioritised to the body core, hence frostbite sets in quicker in the fingers and toes.
There is a saying I heard once, "If you've got cold feet,put on a hat."

cheers,

Martin

leon-1

Jaks correct, you can wear them under any trouser, I have seen people wear them over trousers as well.

They have a zip that runs up both sides that will allow you to put them on without fully taking off your other set of outer trousers or boots so they are quite handy.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Just a thought but I remember back in my army days when we went to the falklands we all wore tights - yep ladies tights, the thicker the better - warm as toast, cheap as chips and very quick drying. Keep your feet warm too.

OK - NOW YOU CAN MAKE YOUR JOKES!!

leon-1

Gary, I don't know many guy's that have worked in cold conditions that were in the forces that haven't worn tights, ron hills have a similair effect.

But, I was there the other day and for that the only thing would of been the good old "chinese fighting suit", to be honest I used mine infrequently when in the army, but when I got back the other day it was something I looked into getting because I have used the old quilted liners in that sort of cold and they worked well.

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
shinobi said:
As you get colder feet, the blood retreats from the extremities and the skin surface to maintain a nice warm body core. As your legs are long and have a large surface area in relation to their size, the blood loss is noticeable quicker. The same is true if the rest of your body and head cool down, warm blood will be prioritised to the body core, hence frostbite sets in quicker in the fingers and toes.
There is a saying I heard once, "If you've got cold feet,put on a hat."

And conversely, if you are feeling hot, you should take your shoes and socks off to let the heat disperse from your feet.

Best wishes

Bruce

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Never worn tights as in ladoes tights

My Ron hill DXBs keep dry and wick any sweat away fast. It also feels comfy under my all in one suit. But nobody else seems to think it's very bushcrafty.

Long Johns seem the best bet

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
arctic hobo said:
They aren't that badly priced! And judging from the enormous popularity in Scandinavia they must be pretty good, although I will admit I have not used them myself.

Even in sweden people cough at the price - but then I think they are less effected by the snobery of the product than we are.

I am sure a lot scandinavians love them too - but I can only speak from experience and having worn them I dont think they are value for money nor overly great. I love my icebreaker stuff, its light and very effective its still expensive but imop at least it work!

Courses for horses.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Gary said:
Just a thought but I remember back in my army days when we went to the falklands we all wore tights - yep ladies tights, the thicker the better - warm as toast, cheap as chips and very quick drying. Keep your feet warm too.

OK - NOW YOU CAN MAKE YOUR JOKES!!

Tights in the Army seems to be a mainstream thing.... alot of our lads wore them during basic training....not too keep warm but to stop chaffing and nappy rash...
Back in Cadets when I did the Nijmegen marches a few of the boys there swore by them...

I always went for thin bike shorts myself.... and Ron Hills for cold...

And, as it happens...one of my staff is an old boy of 69...he's ex RN and he is actually wearing tights now....dirty old git dropped his trousers this morning to show us all...!!!! lol

Chip Dale

Jan 10, 2005
NORFOLK
As an ex squaddie, i can fully endorse the wearing of tights as a thermal trap layer and to reduce chaffing. There is little to no restriction in movement.
Ron Hills & Johns can cause restrictions and if they get wet, you really know about it.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I should have made the connection, that was an old african saying! By the way nice to see you here Bruce.

Greg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Chinky fighting suits were meant to be handed into the stores, but I've kept mine! The trousers are great and the quilted jacket is good too. It is made of the same material as the DPM Parka Liner, very warm, but as previously stated, bulky.

And I said at the beginning of this thread that tights were a cheap option, and lots of folk have seconded this. I knew it wasn't just me being all pervy!!!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
K I quite like the look of the extreme lines, purely for the fact that I can remove them when walking (We both get quite warm when walking). next silly question of the day is does anyone know which of these is leg size and which is the waist size, if the first is the waist size, I'm out but I can still get a set for sam?

76/82
76/94
90/82
90/94
90/104
90/106

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE