Warm Trousers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Okies went camping on Dartmoor this weekend and I think Leon, Chris, Wayne and Val will agree that it was a tad on the chilly side. I'd actually left one of my layers behind but wasn't too bad... Sam (SWMBO) on the otherhand made up by having about 6 layers on the top half and 3 sets of trousers and was still cold.

Now most of her layers were pretty naf so I'm looking at making things a little more comfortable, I'm ok on top half gear but what do you recommend for keeping your legs warm - Just on a side note and I don't want to get into an arguement on this as its in another thread but I don't even want to consider down for our climate.

Cheers
Matt

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
British Army long johns are pretty good, if you like Y fronts with long legs, in green!!

A pair of tights is a cheap option, but not very fetching on a bloke!! On the otherhand, they're under your trousers, so who would know?

NuclearPower

Feb 9, 2005
Sweden
Well...If it is cold and if you are wet, because of sweat for example or improper clothes, then it's really hard to keep warm, if you are not moving.
If you use too many clothes 3 layers of trousers.:shock: then it might be the cause. It's best to use a pair of a loose woolen sublayer. I never use tight clothes. Even if you are wet, wool will still be a go insulator. However if you use synthetic it is suposed to fit tightly but after a dya or so it looses it's properties. Also, if your feet are wet and/or if you are not wearing gloves and a proper nice and sweet hat .:drillserg .then you will freeeezze.

So...stay dry and protect other parts of your body as well.

The warmest cloth is a rucksack :eek:):

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
fleece trousers with a light windproof layer (overtrousers or larger size windproof surplus trousers) should be fairly warm. The other thing to consider is activity, it is hard to stay warm when stationary no matter how many layers you wear so keep moving (get some water or chop wood or just go for a walk). Drink hot drinks or eat hot snacks all will keep you warmer.

ColdCanuck

Feb 16, 2005
Alberta, Canada
I spend lots of time out in the cold in the winter. For my legs this is what I wear.

First Layer - silk long underwear
Second layer - wool long underwear
Third Layer - Fleece lined Gortex pants

I've been out in -25C to -30C plenty of times with this setup and my legs stay plenty warm. The other really important thing to remember is that you have to keep your feet warm to keep your legs warm. So wear good sock liners and good wool socks.

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
Several options are available. Layering is the most common solution; a pair of merino wool longjohns should be useful.

In addition to Ullfrote there is also New Zealand's Icebreaker:

http://www.icebreaker.co.nz/index.html

My wife has a pair of their longjohns and they are excellent quality, really soft with flat stitching. The Icebreaker site also has a dealer locator for the UK.

Rohan also do insulated trousers, if you prefer.

Best wishes

Bruce

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
brucemacdonald said:
In addition to Ullfrote there is also New Zealand's Icebreaker:
http://www.icebreaker.co.nz/index.html

My wife has a pair of their longjohns and they are excellent quality, really soft with flat stitching. The Icebreaker site also has a dealer locator for the UK.

I can second the Icebreakers. They are fantastic. I got mine from Field and Trek in Brighton.

Cheers,

Martin

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
You can pick up US army woollen trousers from a site called GI Jungle for a few dollars and these are excellent.

I recently bought two pairs a size larger than needed and boiled them down to the size I wanted, the wool is good quality and under may snow trousers was all I wore or needed to wear even down in the minus's!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE