Warm gloves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have ridden motorbikes in freezing conditions over the years, (fair weather only now, as I can't be bothered to keep suffering from cold and wet)
I always suffered freezing hands no matter what I wore, and could never afford heated grips which I craved!
When I was in Sweden, I drove a snowmobile up a mountain in -20 with a cheap pair of fleece gloves, a pair of home knitted felted Swedish style mittens, and some ex army gortex over mitts.
My hands were perfectly warm even though we drove for hours many miles over the mountains .
So perhaps layering like that with wool mitts would work. The wool mitts were essential for the system to work.
I think you can get battery operated heated gloves nowadays. Worth a search?

Reactions: nigelp and bonzodog

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I have been wearing my thick EDZ boiled wool gloves with army goretex mitts over them for cycling to work this week.

It was -3DegC with freezing fog yesterday morning. It was -2DegC and clear this morning. My hands were warm and comfortable on both mornings and the still frosty evenings.

Whatever the claims for them, they are not as dense as Dachsteins. Without the over-mitts the wind would blow right through them.

sizing is a bit funny. I have long fingers and reasonably wide hands, but I needed to make the palm area of the gloves narrower.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
+1 For Hestra

I have the Guide gloves which are leather with removable wool liners.

Quite pricey, but worth every penny.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I have an oldish pair of Sealskinz shooting gloves. I think the equivilamtnow is the “Stanford”.

F4553CEB-FC88-45A1-914A-C5F892E2FB43.jpeg

I did use Dachstein mitts for winter climbing and hillwalking.

I have some surplus shells that open on the palm. If I can find them I’ll get a picture, not sure if they are German or what.

I’ve used the full inner glove and over mitt on cords for very very cold weather but just too bulky for most tasks.

Have you though of a muff? ;) In all seriousness they are great for warming your hands up.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Layering is the key. Ask me, I have been all my life bicycling all year around.
Three pairs is enough for me dowmn to -20 C.

Thin merino liner glove, thicker wool glove and outer layer a windproof shell mitten.

Reactions: nigelp

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Mentioned on here a few times, I have trouble with cold hands and have tried everything. The montane prism are no good for me. You name it tried it.

Someone on here recommended
Extremities TORRES PEAK Gloves and they are the very best. I also use buffalo mitts as an extra and Hestra but like said already too expensive.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I have a pair of these

I can fit liners inside, although my hands aren't like shovels. I have two pairs, one to wear with liners, one without. The smaller pair have an oddly shaped little finger, so might be hit and miss. But I've ended up with a fairly cheap work glove system.

Reactions: Tony

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE