War!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That's right, if you fail to dispose of it properly you could be liable to fines of up to £5000 and or maximum of 2 years in prison.

It pays to follow the guidelines on disposal very carefully as a piece of root the size of the end of your little finger is able to propgate itself very readily.

Thank goodness we don't have the male plant here or we'd be having to deal with it self seeding and that wqould be an even worse nightmare

It’s a shame this doesn’t apply to bamboo. It’s a sod to get it out and very invasive, it pushes through tarmac, paving, walls yet is sold in almost all garden centres as an architectural plant. It’s causing the same neighbour and estate agent problems as the knotweed.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Got a bit of backup in my war on rabbits in the garden this morning...I caught a movement out of the corner of my eye while making a cuppa, and grabbed the wife's camera for a quick video. So cute, but very effective against my 'enemy'.

50110753853_9a44705b59_c.jpg

Ok, I think I have it now......try this link to the video:

Short video of 157MB

Cheers, Bob

Last edited:
Reactions: dwardo and lou1661

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Got a bit of backup in my war on rabbits in the garden this morning...I caught a movement out of the corner of my eye while making a cuppa, and grabbed the wife's camera for a quick video. So cute, but very effective against my 'enemy'.

Ok, I think I have it now......try this link to the video:

Short video of 157MB

Cheers, Bob
Wow, that was a great spot for you. Very lucky to see them let alone video them

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Do you have any idea what bamboo that would be?
In my experience, it seems that almost all bamboo that will grow in a garden tends to spread fairly rapidly, if not planted in a separate pot or trough isolated from the ground. In our old house both the low growing variegated leaf type and the taller general varieties invaded from our next-door-neighbour’s garden. Its nigh on impossible to get rid of once established. The tuber (or is it rhizome?) grows quickly sideways just under the soil surface, and then the shoots come up all over the place.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Wow, that was a great spot for you. Very lucky to see them let alone video them
Yeah, the wife leaves her DSLR out with a 300mm lens on it, and I could video them from the kitchen, through the window. I saw a stoat last week as well, but no camera to hand that time. It must the large number of rabbits that are bringing them out (?). Neither the stoat nor the polecats seemed particularly shy of us humans :)

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Do you have sci. names for those?
Well, the short, variegated type looked like this stuff:
Pleioblastus variegatus - Dwarf white-striped Bamboo

...while the larger one looked like this one:
Fargesia murieliae 'Jumbo' - Umbrella bamboo

The only thing we could do at the time was to keep cutting it off as it came up in the edge of our lawn. We would sometimes trace the rhizome back through the flowerbed, and pull as much of it up as we could, but it wasn’t a long term fix.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
According to some sources a radical change in soil pH might help.

I think the second one just barely grows here, it resembles one I have seen at the Uni botanical garden.

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
so from experience. If you are a tinkerer, hw99s in .22 is perfect. In .177 the hw77, tx200, prosport or walther LGV/LGU are brilliant springers. Air arms tend to be a better finish though IMO.
The prosport is my all time favourite springer...hold sensitive but once you adjust your technique then its all good

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
It will take roughly 5 years to remove knot weed by using chemical. Echoing what Wood girl has mentioned. Any fibres of the plant left can regrow into full plants. Save your self a lot of hassle and bring a professional in on a schedule.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
So far the Sachalin is the problem and even it might not really be. I am in my first war summer and it seems to suffer. The Jap seems easier, I had one outlier area where I now get only a few shoots every week. It seems the different climate makes a difference.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The Jap seems to be losing and I winning, last week only 2 shoots up. The Sachalin cousin is more difficult new shoots are less and less but they are still coming. In a few weeks they stop growing totally so we''ll meet again next spring.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE