Wanted (ttf): Lockpicking kit ( Beginners !)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spartan

Forager
Jun 5, 2010
Deepest Darkest Derbyshire
Hi All,

I'm after a beginners lockpicking kit, maybe someone has a used one and moved on to more advanced methods, if anyone has one they're not using. I can trade lots of stuff, buck sharps, eka / normark sharps etc, general bushy stuff of which I have far too much ! or even pp payment.

I realise this may not be in exactly the right place and do profusely apologise in advance

Cheers, Sp

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
You need a justified reason for carrying lock picks or you could find yourself on the wrong side of the law.

If you click the bangood ad at the bottom of the screen and search for lock picks you should see a fair number cheap.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
You need a justified reason for carrying lock picks or you could find yourself on the wrong side of the law.

If you click the bangood ad at the bottom of the screen and search for lock picks you should see a fair number cheap.

Same with many knives, I'm sure he's aware.

Bottom of my screen is an ad for luxury holiday homes in the Lake District. It varies according to whatever cookies your browser has picked up. I just cleared the cache so my ads are a bit random.

Wayne is right though, many of the Chinese supermarkets stock them and sell them cheaply.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It completely legal to own Lock picks and practice with them as a hobby on your own property or on someones property whom has given you their express permission.

Its going to get you into issues if you get stopped and searched and they are found on you with no good reason. Its viewed as going equipped.
That also applies to keeping a set in your car 'just in case'

I own a set for Landlord duties as some tenants either forget about returning the keys or leave padlocks in the most inappropriate places once vacating a property.

Cheap enough to purchase new from these places.

https://www.withoutakey.co.uk/lock-pick-sets/

https://www.ukbumpkeys.com/collections/lock-pick-sets

A sub £20 set is easily enough - Its not a case of the more picks the better , I only tend to use 6 or so and that gets the job done. Best thing you can do is ask people you know to save surplus padlocks and door locks for you to practice upon.

If in doubt ref the legalities read here:-

https://www.withoutakey.co.uk/blog/is-it-legal-to-use-lock-picks-in-the-uk/

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Knives, you have to show a lawful excuse, lock picking stuff not so. It is for the prosecution to prove their case. Please let us not have finger wagging about carrying the means for a lawful hobby, we get enough of that on other topics.

Hunkyfunkster

Mar 2, 2015
Loch Lomond
I've got a set of picks and a see-through practice lock I could send on, if you're interested. Haven't used it for a while.

I'd take pretty much anything in trade, I enjoy a wee mystery gift I do :)

rancid badger

I remember doing a weekend course with the TA about 30 years ago, there was some demolitions, as well as some other bits and bobs which included a couple of sessions with an old bloke in flat cap, brown dust coat and a stinking pipe, who seemed to be able to perform magic tricks with a set of lock picks of varying sizes and types.

He did his best to teach us but I don't think anyone got past a cheap padlock, never mind the yale type locks and whatnot. He was opening all sorts almost as if he had the keys!

At the end, he said he thought we'd done quite well but suggested that, for the foreseeable future at least, if we needed to open a door or a locked gate without the keys, we'd probably be as well to use a "MK1 Pass Key". There was a few seconds delay then sure enough someone asked what that was and where to get it.

He gave a great big grin, held up a huge crowbar and said; "Any half decent ironmongers young un!";)

Ah happy days!

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Some Yale locks are useless. I have opened a few doors for people by barging a shoulder on the door and it sort of bounces open. Used to do this regularly at college where forgetting keys seemed endemic in the flats we lived in.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I've made quite a few picks, you can find the shapes to grind them to on the internet. The best material I found to use is the metal bristles from street sweepers, not the easiest material to get hold of though. The metal strips found in windscreen wipers work although they are quite thick in comparison. Its a really good feeling being able to open a lock with a pick set you've make yourself.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I carry a lock picking set most days in my work bag. Staff are work are constantly wandering off home with keys despite signs on every exit door reminding folk to check their pockets before they leave. We've got spare keys for everything we can get spare keys for but most days I end up having to pick cupboard/cabinet doors, cash boxes, front doors, fridges/freezers, etc. Ironically enough, I also end up having to pick the cabinets that keys are 'securely' stored in.

It's a pain at times but I must admit I enjoy the practice and it does save a fortune in having to call out joiners or locksmiths.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Lots of good lock attack tutorials on youtube.
The best material I found to use is the metal bristles from street sweepers,
(Hi Bazzworx, I've not tried sweeper blades yet but I will keep an eye out for them now)

+1 on the steel inserts from windscreen wiper blades for picks and torque wrenches, short hooks, half ball's and diamond picks are easy to make with a small set of files, bogota and city rakes a bit harder. The easiest small concealed EDC option must be the pen spring and safety pin, pens tubes or a Sharpie for more comprehensive sets.
Lock_picks_pen_spring_concealment.jpg

Last edited:

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
Yeah the sweeper blades are brilliant to use. I think they are Spring steel so they're a bit harder to work but make fantastic picks. I've snapped a couple of cheap picks but never a spring steel one. I think I've still got some sweeper bristles so if you want some PM me your address and I'll stick some in the post for you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE