WANTED: Traditional firesteel

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I'm after a traditional firesteel, nothing fancy just as long as it can strike some decent sparks from a bit of flint. I know I could buy one from raymears.com or somewhere similar but it would be nice if I knew that someone from BCUK had made it themselves.

I haven't got much to swap, the best bushcrafty things I can think of are: cramp balls; birch bark; beech wood or apple wood (may be OK for a bit of carving), paracord. Maybe you don't have access to these things near where you are. Alternatively, if it isn't too much against the rules of this particular forum, I'd be happy to swap some money!

Geoff

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
send a pm off to dave budd (member here) - he makes them and they are excellent!!!! (I know I have one!:D )

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Although I have sent Eric Methven a PM, I would like to thank him publicly for his kindness in giving me a traditional firesteel, which arrived this morning together with several pieces of flint and a nice letter. All this from someone I have never even met.

If I can do Eric a favour in return, I will be only too happy to do so. Or maybe I will get the chance to help someone else out and the round of favours will eventually come full circle.

I've got plenty of charcloth that I made at home and have been lighting with my modern firesteel so I can't wait to get home and try the traditional one.

Geoff

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
And just like on that advert for a well known woodstain, "it does what it says on the tin".

Strike flint with steel, sparks land on charcloth, put charcloth in bunch of grass, blow on it, add wood, fire. Almost as easy as using a match...but much more satisfying.

Geoff :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE