Wanted: SAS Smock, or similar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
I'm after a smock for when I am out and about and was thinking of something like a surplus SAS style smock or similar.

I'm 6ft 1" with a 44" chest which I think makes me about a 180/112 (but I could be wrong - I've not had to work with military sizes before).

If anyone's got one needing a good home or knows of a good place to get one at the mo please let me know.

Thanks,

Craig.

westie1

Dec 11, 2009
west yorkshire
im keeping my green one for shooting lol but may have kept my desert one, which are you after? if you go down the market i think its a tuesday theres a 2nd hand millitary stall, if you stand with your back to the half in/ half out market (the one with the carpet sellers in and used to have a merry go round in it) looking towards gala bingo and train station bit hes to the right. long winded but if you know barnsley market you shud have an idea lol. im guna sell some stuff to him i hope but its only bits and bobs. Theres also army surplus stores in wombwell just up from the train station towards the village and one in shafton but its on a back road ul have to look that one up :) hope my ramblings will be of some use.

stretch3144

Feb 3, 2009
North Tawton, Devon
I've been looking at smocks and jackets this evening, I'm looking for something Ventile really, but these smocks at the Bushcraft store may suit your needs.

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/sas-kit-carry-sniper-smock---olive-green-399-p.asp

Try this site for a good quality Ventile jacket:
http://www.auravita.com/product/Falkland-Ventile-Jacket-Olive-L.KEEL13800.html

I've had one for a little over a year and think its excellent - and at a very good price too!

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
im keeping my green one for shooting lol but may have kept my desert one, which are you after? if you go down the market i think its a tuesday theres a 2nd hand millitary stall, if you stand with your back to the half in/ half out market (the one with the carpet sellers in and used to have a merry go round in it) looking towards gala bingo and train station bit hes to the right. long winded but if you know barnsley market you shud have an idea lol. im guna sell some stuff to him i hope but its only bits and bobs. Theres also army surplus stores in wombwell just up from the train station towards the village and one in shafton but its on a back road ul have to look that one up :) hope my ramblings will be of some use.

Yep, makes sense to me. I'll try the surplus store and the market tomorrow. I'd thought about the market before but couldn't remember if there was an ex army stall on there or not. Have you used the surplus store in Wombwell before?

westie1

Dec 11, 2009
west yorkshire
Iv been in the one in wombwell but its only small, you will see it it normaly has a union jack flying and a dummy dressed in millitary number 2 dress outside. The one in shafton i used when i was in the army cadets before i joined up (ex-mill now) and they are a farm with shipping containers in the back full, they had a very good selection at the time and well priced if i remember correctly. They were making a killing on s10 gass masks though post 911 paranoia lol people were even buying ww2 crap, rather them than me lol.

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Went into the Wombwell shop today and tried on a windproof SAS smock. It was 190/112 and was massive on me so I think I need 180/104. He's currently selling the smocks at £30 for the windproof material or £20 for the rip stop. He's also got some goretex jackets in for £40 but they only have two pockets on the front. Unfortunately he hasn't got my size in but may have it in a few weeks.

In the meantime I have seen this on ebay and have had a bit of email correspondance with them:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300345871610&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It seems to be the same spec as the ones I was trying on in the shop but has the additional pit zips, and they have them in my size. In fact they even have a DPM and Olive package for £50 on some sizes.

Just deciding which way to go now. I like to support local shops wherever possible but he's not certain he can get me a smaller one.

westie1

Dec 11, 2009
west yorkshire
Thats quite a good price for the windproof smock if its grade 1, i had the crappy ripstop before i left the army, alittle deal with the stores when i left and i walked away with a nice new windproof lol. Will be stitching into the back a nice large poachers pocket before long :)

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
I bought the smock off Ebay from Rawvintage and I'm very impressed with it. It appears to be a very good copy of an issued SAS arctic smock (there is a nato style label in it but there's no stock number so I'm assuming its a copy, not an original) and feels very well built. There are 4 large pockets on the front as well as a pocket in each sleeve and two of the largest map pockets I have seen. Inside there are also two large pockets and pit zips. The material is double thickness around the arms, shoulders and shoulder blades and all the buttons are the large slot type. There's adjustment around the waist and at the bottom of the jacket. The arctic wire hood is much bigger than I expected but quite snug.

I've worn it a few times now and its very warm, but the pit zips should make it OK in the summer as well. I haven't had chance to test how waterproof it is yet but it was advertised as water resistant, not waterproof. However, I've read the threads on here about waterproofing smocks so I can have a go at that if needs be.

Its the first smock I have owned but it seems to suit all my needs and the price was quite reasonable. The only downside appears to be the cord used for the loops, buttons and drawstrings. It’s a but flimsy but I can replace it with some stronger cord if needed.

Jan 2, 2010
cambridgeshire
i have just posed a thread on the kit page 13:99 from addelstons army surplus , bomb proof, comes in white, dye to your own colour and bobs your uncle 01932 848 563, they also have an old style falklands parka - lined windproof 25 quid-

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
CAL
Try L&M Supplies, on the corner of Sheffield Road and Cemetry Road. They have a small stock of surplus stuff in the back room. I picked up my SAS windproof for £16. It's worth a look if you're passing.
No connection etc
Rat

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
There is a stall on The Moor in Sheffield and he is doing the new (but not the latest) Soldier 95 stuff. He has the windproof smocks with chest zips with or without the hood and I think they were twenty or thirty quid. Is the Wombwell one the tiny little shop next to (I think) a cafe? Oh, and the stall in Barnsley market is on Tuesdays.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE