Wanted: Long ferro inset into antler

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hey all,

As per subject really anyone know where I can get one from?

Long strike area with antler handle. Longer than the sort of standard jobby with plastic handle you can buy everywhere. Not bothered if it is hard or soft compound.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

What sort of length are you after? The ones I have that I make mine out of are only 80mm long (8mm diameter) and you would need at least 15mm (maybe even 20mm) in the handle.

What sort of length are you after? The ones I have that I make mine out of are only 80mm long (8mm diameter) and you would need at least 15mm (maybe even 20mm) in the handle.
This is the one I use now but I've seen people use much bigger chunkier ones and often with a harder compound too. Like the ebay ones above. Or this one that Mike at MCQ sells but the price seems a bit steep to me - that is to say steep if I dont want the pouch just the rod.

86c9512de1bafab1fcde4805eb2952ce.jpg

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep, mine are about the size of your photo; the MCQ Bushcraft one is twice as long and a good deal wider - I agree though, a lot to pay for a ferro-rod even with a leather sheath :)

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Ok so I've been impulsive and just purchased some large ferro rod. 6 inch long by about 12mm wide. And some antler and epoxy too.

I'll post pictures if it works out and I've ordered 12 rods so will have plenty of spares if anyone is interested.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com
I'll be interested to see the results. It's always nice to see homemade stuff.
Ferro rods can vary quite a bit in quality, so let us know how you get on with the sparks.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I copied Mikes design and made my own using briar as the handle. The leather belt sheath was only my second or third leather project and it was made with only basic tools. Really happy with how it came out and it only took a few hours. This one I gave to a friend so I made another for myself and used antler for the handle but I don't have a picture of that one.
Untitled by Ben Close, on Flickr

I'll be interested to see the results. It's always nice to see homemade stuff.
Ferro rods can vary quite a bit in quality, so let us know how you get on with the sparks.
Awesome. Thank you.

Yup. I agree. That said mind the less sparks usually, though not always, means you have a harder compound. A harder compound means it is more durable and will last longer albeit more practice is required to strike it successfully. If you are going to be out for extended periods then a harder compound is the way to go.

Though as you say it could also simply be a matter of quality if the recipe is not correctly refined i.e. more ferrum and less circum or anyone of a number of other ingredients that often get thrown in to the mix.

I shall report back as soon as they arrive

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

I copied Mikes design and made my own using briar as the handle. The leather belt sheath was only my second or third leather project and it was made with only basic tools. Really happy with how it came out and it only took a few hours. This one I gave to a friend so I made another for myself and used antler for the handle but I don't have a picture of that one
And cost you considerably less than the 80 notes he sells his for no doubt

Very nice piece of work @Bazzworx

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
For sure, I think the rod was £10 and the rest of the stuff I had in my odds and ends box. I guess it was 3-4 hours work over a couple of evenings. Mikes stuff is a little on the pricey side for me but his work is stunning, having seen some of his crafts in person he's a very skilled crafts man with great attention to detail.

For sure, I think the rod was £10 and the rest of the stuff I had in my odds and ends box. I guess it was 3-4 hours work over a couple of evenings. Mikes stuff is a little on the pricey side for me but his work is stunning, having seen some of his crafts in person he's a very skilled crafts man with great attention to detail.
Oh yes of course. His skill and knowledge is easily up there with the best IMHO. I've a lot of time for him. I imagine his pricing structure hangs off the back of his very successful You Tube channel where his subscribers probably will invest the funds in his kit more to say it's made by him than anything else.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I guess when you break it down it's not that bad a price really. Say £15 for the materials and 4 hours labour, that's a low hourly rate for a skilled craftsman (I charge £20 per hour for my trade). I agree if it wasn't made by him then I don't think as many would get sold so I do think his followers would be his main customer base. People obviously find it's nice to own something made by someone you aspire to rather than making one themselves.

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
It came from here. It was a 120mm steel to allow for insertion into the handle.

Reactions: Onelifeoverland

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE