wanted: British army Lensatic compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
British, I have a copy US version I'd like to get the real "British army issue" version, though I realise they are a bit of a collectors item.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I tried one of these off a mate in the Guards, he said it was a Court Martial Offence to lose one.... I think he was exaggerating but they do make them pay a lot if they lose one.

Hard to come by.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I tried one of these off a mate in the Guards, he said it was a Court Martial Offence to lose one.... I think he was exaggerating but they do make them pay a lot if they lose one.

Hard to come by.

It was always impressed upon us what a world of pain we'd be in if we lost a prismatic compass - almost as great a crime as losing a firearm...

leon-1

I have one, however I wouldn't part with it or loan it to anybody, sorry mate. Rocking horse poo comes to mind and it has sentimental value.

You can buy British Army prismatic compasses though, they're about £260 IIRC, do a quick google search and they turn up.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
They do come up on e-Bay fairly regularly. I was tempted to get one, but as a 'nice to have', though the price is a bit too high for me. I suspect that for ordinary navigation, then one of the Silva prismatics may be perfectly adequate, which is what I may end up with.

I concur with the threats about losing one that was issued to you.

Geoff

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
As an idea of what can happen, a Troop Commander lost a monocle, basically a small night vision thingy that you can clip to your helmet or use hand held. It was worth approximately 3000 quid! The army has changed, in the olden days she would have been skinned alive but in this case she just had to pay for the lot as she lost it through negligence. She said fine, I'll claim on my kit insurance. Bad news, her kit insurance covered her for something like 6 million pounds worth of kit, but it only pays out 1000 quid per item! Otherwise, people could lose a Main Battle Tank and the insurance company would have to pay out! So, a 2 grand deficit that she had to make up, she was a bit annoyed that she didn't spend a bit more time looking for it in the area she had dropped it!

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
As a collecters item they're ok but for navigation a Silva is much more useful.
Had one found it heavy and finally sold it on ebay.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
As a collecters item they're ok but for navigation a Silva is much more useful.
Had one found it heavy and finally sold it on ebay.

I'd agree with that. Unless you're trying to sort out an air strike, the Silva's lighter, easier, almost as accurate, and a damned sight cheaper to replace when you drop it. My prismatic's sat in my drawer, and I'd sell if it weren't for sentimental value.

Mind you, I couldn't find my a*se with both hands if you gave me a map, so what do I know?
:p

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I've got one and would concur with all that's been said...

p1010078-1.jpg

A Silva Expedition 54 is to all intents and purposes as good at taking prismatic bearings and much easier to use with a map. With the M73 you have to use a Protractor to get grid bearings.

However the M73 is a thing of quality and for taking accurate bearings on objects in open country with good visability it's hard to beat... I believe the NZ Army sold off all it's M73's and now issues a Mils version of the Silva type 54.

They do turn up on ebay form time to time at a reasonable price especially if they are the older black version. Normally the tritium light source is shot and the compass is pretty worn. The good thing is you can get them rebuilt or serviced but it's not cheap.

Hope this adds to the info pile...

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I've come to the conclusion that they are way out of my price range and I don't actually need one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE