Wanted - 3x4m PVC Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I know a few folk buy these as starter kit and then upgrade to nylon or cotton eventually.

I want something to cover my canoe in the garden so looking for around 3x4m

What you got ?

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Aldi/Lidl occasionally do them for less than GBP5. I did have a couple but they got pretty trashed one night on Loch Chon, eyelets away, edges ripped but they were pretty good if a little noisy. Screwfix have them for a tenner.

Cheers,

Alan

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Aldi/Lidl occasionally do them for less than GBP5. I did have a couple but they got pretty trashed one night on Loch Chon, eyelets away, edges ripped but they were pretty good if a little noisy. Screwfix have them for a tenner.

Cheers,

Alan

Cheers Alan

I picked one up in Lidl the other week but put it back when I saw the size of the queue at the checkout :banghead:

I'll try again at the weekend me thinks

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Andywinkk makes a 3m x 4m camping tarp. Well made and robust...might be worth a punt?

Not as cheap as a PVC one, but with the advantage that you could actually use it whilst out as well.

Simon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Andywinkk makes a 3m x 4m camping tarp. Well made and robust...might be worth a punt?

Not as cheap as a PVC one, but with the advantage that you could actually use it whilst out as well.

Simon

:eek:

And what would Andy have to say about that ? :rant:

I couldn't bring myself to buy such a nice bit of kit and then leave it out in the elements 300+ days a year.
It would probably get wrecked anyway as I'll be securing it to a coarse stone wall and the abrasion would kill it eventually.

I had a look a canvas truck tarps but they're £50 for a decent size one.

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
Rich

Jut curious why you are looking to cover your canoe with a plastic tarp is to protect it or hide it. Its just that I heard covering your canoe this way can have the opposite effect and can cause damage in the long term. I'll try and dig out where I read it probably over on sotp. anyway it is a boat and should be O.K in the rain;) Seriously, if its to protect from fading in sunlight others I know of won't use a tarp and swear by spraying a couple of times a year with a can 303 aerospace ( I think this is what its called)

Dan

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Rich

Jut curious why you are looking to cover your canoe with a plastic tarp is to protect it or hide it. Its just that I heard covering your canoe this way can have the opposite effect and can cause damage in the long term. I'll try and dig out where I read it probably over on sotp. anyway it is a boat and should be O.K in the rain;) Seriously, if its to protect from fading in sunlight others I know of won't use a tarp and swear by spraying a couple of times a year with a can 303 aerospace ( I think this is what its called)

Dan

Yeah I caught bits on SOTP Dan, that 303 stuff does look good.

The tarp is just to protect it from the sun really, it would be suspended away from the canoe though. I think I read that if you have it touching the boat it creates a micro climate in hot sun and will actually deform the plastic. If I leave a space round it for airflow I think it's supposed to be okay ??

The wall it going to be mounted on gets the sun most of the day so I thought a bit of shade would be good for it ? I read that the 303 stuff revives the original colour and shine so maybe it's just easier to slap that on.

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
Yeah I caught bits on SOTP Dan, that 303 stuff does look good.

The tarp is just to protect it from the sun really, it would be suspended away from the canoe though. I think I read that if you have it touching the boat it creates a micro climate in hot sun and will actually deform the plastic. If I leave a space round it for airflow I think it's supposed to be okay ??

The wall it going to be mounted on gets the sun most of the day so I thought a bit of shade would be good for it ? I read that the 303 stuff revives the original colour and shine so maybe it's just easier to slap that on.

Actually your plan is fine. Its a problem if the tarp is touching the canoe as you said. Stick with plan A you'll be fine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE