Want to go long distances on a bicycle, but also want to be able to off-road - ideas?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Used to have a GT hybrid that was pretty good as far as hybrids go but I personally found it wasn't that good on trail so I put proper mountain tyres on it which made it not really a hybrid. Then upgraded toa Specialized hardrock pro disc- absolutely love this thing! Hardtail with lockout forks so its great on road but can be easily unlocked whilst riding with one hand when you hit the rough stuff. Also just recently put a set of Schwalbe city jet tyres on it (road tyres to fit 2.9" mountain rims) for riding to uni every day on roads and I gained about 2.5mph average so well worth it. Easy enough to swap the tyres back for trail riding though, or even get a spare set of rims.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Hi,

I'm looking to spend about £1000 on a new bicycle (perhaps more) that could get me across the country, but also be able to go off-road in pretty rough terrain. It would of-course have to be capable of housing storage. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance

As a bit of a polycyclic[1] geek I find that the bike I use most for what you describe, out of my hybrids, touring bike, fixess and folders is...

The Brompton.

Yeah, the quirky little commuter bike. I've done some rather bat **** things with my Brompton, Road, off road, up hill, down dale, and a rather lot in the Netherlands. Upgraded with a 8 speed rear hub, funky bar ends, and a rack under the seat for my dry bag, It really has become a wonder bike for travel, touring, and nipping to the shops to get something for dinner.

Thanks

Julia

[1]Owner of more than one bike, not rather than having lots of hydrogen loops...

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
As a bit of a polycyclic[1] geek I find that the bike I use most for what you describe, out of my hybrids, touring bike, fixess and folders is...

The Brompton.

Yeah, the quirky little commuter bike. I've done some rather bat **** things with my Brompton, Road, off road, up hill, down dale, and a rather lot in the Netherlands. Upgraded with a 8 speed rear hub, funky bar ends, and a rack under the seat for my dry bag, It really has become a wonder bike for travel, touring, and nipping to the shops to get something for dinner.

Thanks

Julia

[1]Owner of more than one bike, not rather than having lots of hydrogen loops...

Now you're talking! Love my bikes, had all sorts. Probably the most versatile was the brompton and my own favourite, the moulton- fantastic small wheeled bikes perfect for commuting and excellent for touring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
When I was younger (when they were clearing dead dinosaurs off the road) my friends and I used to go "tracking". This entailed riding down different woodland tracks on our bikes for the hell of it. Most of us built our own bikes, any frame, biggest tyres you could find, no mudguards (radical!) And usually sporting a pair of cowhorn bars.(mostly half-cowhorns as the extra inches on the full cowhorns could lead to embarrassment when riding thru the narrow gap between two trees!) One chap used an old moped frame, which had front suspension (very cool, but it took 3 of us to manhandle it over fences.) Sorry for the slight derailment, just wanted to share.

Surly Big Dummy:
IMG_0445.jpg

Brooks B.17 saddle, Surly Open Bar 40mm Rise, Ergon GP1 Biokork grips, Shimano MX30 pedals.

Motobecane Gran Turismo:
IMG_0433.jpg

Brooks B-17 saddle, Ergon GP1 Biokork grips, Shimano Deore controls, Topeak rack and bag.

Every ride begins with 100 yards of dirt driveway, then 1/2 mile of limerock grade to the surfaced road. Cargo bikes make easy work of 60 pound loads, will transport much heavier loads. Big Dummy handles all camping cargo loads, Gran Turismo is for the light loads.

[video=youtube;eqv1tPszZKQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqv1tPszZKQ[/video]

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Doesn't look like the op has been back.

If he does in the future i'd give a +1 for a 29" MTB

Tough, rolls well over terrain, comfortable and very capable both on and off-road

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
I have just bought my first bike since being a teen.
Just a cheap Boss blade hard tail from a catalog as im skint
Im also looking to buy panniers and other bags to take some kit off my back and start bikepacking.
Really looking forward to being able to go long distances again and getting fitter too.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
RE8ELD0G, check out ebay for panniers and racks. Everyone is so obsessed with ortlieb these days; the older types are sold off for a song.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I have just bought my first bike since being a teen.
Just a cheap Boss blade hard tail from a catalog as im skint
Im also looking to buy panniers and other bags to take some kit off my back and start bikepacking.
Really looking forward to being able to go long distances again and getting fitter too.

Just be careful mate, that's a pretty poor quality bike, it's a steel frame made from unbranded tubing with a pretty terrible front fork.

Should be fine for easy tow path type riding or the road, but if you start loading it up or giving it a trouncing off-road things are going to start failing.

Sorry to be a downer, but i've personally witnessed bikes like these fail on more than 1 occasion.

It's tough to find a MTB that's up to regular off-road use for under £300 new.
That's not snobbery, it's just that the frame, wheels and components cost money to make.

On a tight budget your best bet is to buy a older used bike, bike geometry, wheel sizes, brake types etc have change a fair bit in the last 5 years, but a decent 5+ year old bike will still stand a fair bit of abuse and you'll be able to ride it as far or hard as you want.

Again really sorry to be a downer, i was in 2 minds to say something.
If i hadn't had mates with similar bikes fail on them i would have kept my mouth shut, but the last one failed at the frame, right near the headtube, which could have been very nasty so i figured it's better you know so you can keep an eye out.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Thank.
I do understand this is a poorly built cheap bike.
It was only purchased to het me back in the road until I find work and then I can build my own bike from the parts I want.
Its not gonna be used for anything but road and bridleways so it should be fine.
Thanks for the warning anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Cbr6fs' post does make the useful point that it's perhaps worth keeping an eye for wear/stress/cracks when cleaning so you don't have an unfortunate road eating incident. It's unlikely but it could happen to anyone.

Posted by carrier pigeon

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Panniers are usefull but once loaded up the handling resembles a bike as miuch as a boat resembles an icecream cornet, dump the panniers and get a quick release trailer, top of the range is a BOB (Beast of burden) but there are hundreds of excellent copies out there at a 1/4 of the price

This is a BOB will set you back between 3 and 5 hundred quid

bob-trailer-turkey.jpg

and the german copy set you back about £50 inc P+P, i have and use one of these, bike handles normally due to low centre of gravity and goes anywhere the bike does, over fences quick release detach and lift over and recouple in seconds, so simple it is criminal how far you can go. This is my favourite pastime and way to access the outdoors with my spine problem, only change i had to make was remove the road mud guard and replace with an offroad one, awesome kit gave me a whole new lease of outdoor life

single wheel BOB copy http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FoxHunter-Bike-Bicycle-Cycle-Cargo-Luggage-Trailer-With-Storage-Bag-Single-Wheel-/191071183025?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item2c7cbae0b1

$_12.JPG

Last edited:

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Yeah i had a few accidents when bike broke as a teenager,
I went down a mud hill hit a tree root and the whole front handlebars and fork with the headset snapped clean off my old Falcon.
Shoddy welding to say the least.
That was a fun landing..........

And i pulled a wheelie on another and the forks fell off the bottom which sent me rolling over the handlebars on landing it.
And no i did not notice my front wheel/forks coming off.......was too busy showing off to some ladies.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Thank.
I do understand this is a poorly built cheap bike.
It was only purchased to het me back in the road until I find work and then I can build my own bike from the parts I want.
Its not gonna be used for anything but road and bridleways so it should be fine.
Thanks for the warning anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

goodjob

Panniers are usefull but once loaded up the handling resembles a bike as miuch as a boat resembles an icecream cornet, dump the panniers and get a quick release trailer, top of the range is a BOB (Beast of burden) but there are hundreds of excellent copies out there at a 1/4 of the price

This is a BOB will set you back between 3 and 5 hundred quid

Need to be careful with MTB's though as many full suspension MTB's have wider axle widths.

If these are intended for road bikes i'm guessing they're 130mm?

Also found trailers to be pretty much useless on any track rougher than a canal tow path.
Only other problem i had was on steep downhills, the loaded trailer wanted to overtake the bike so make braking extremely unstable.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
fits all axle widths just not any wheel size bigger than 26inch, the arms connected to the bike are very adaptable, you replace your quick release axle with the one that comes with the trailer and sticks out even further with the hitch pegs at the ends

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE