Want to go long distances on a bicycle, but also want to be able to off-road - ideas?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
QR.jpg

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
fits all axle widths just not any wheel size bigger than 26inch, the arms connected to the bike are very adaptable, you replace your quick release axle with the one that comes with the trailer and sticks out even further with the hitch pegs at the ends

Ok thanks.
Sorry i meant to put diameter as well.

If the Ebay trailer is the same as the IBEX, their site says
Not compatible with rear 12mm through-axles

Not many folks touring will use a full suspension bike so it won't be relevant to many, good to know though.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
yeah 9mm standard qr axle like 99% of MTB, only top end stuff has those fat axles like my 5k Marin XM Pro with a 15mm through bolt axle (right PIA), all my other mtbs have regular 9mm axles

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I got one of those too, very expensive and totally awesome as you are always carrying a real spare wheel, very expensive though at just over £300 for a wheel and 4 pieces of metal, you literally forget you have cargo but can only take 20 kilo and it is an awkward load unless well balanced either side of the wheel

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
also check out the extrawheel if you are looking at getting a trailer. They are (reputedly) fine to use off-road.

http://www.extrawheel.com/

Canal tow paths most trailers will be fine.

If you start going much rougher surfaces though they start to get very compromised.
With my old trailer ruts and any obstacle large enough to require you to pop up the front wheel were the biggest problems.

They're also a fair bit more weight compared to panniers, is another moving part that can fail and you can feel the drag.

Don't get me wrong if you load up any bike in any way with 12kg of tent, bag etc you'll feel it.
But for me i just found the trailer to be more of a hindrance than a help so ended up giving it to a mate.
Off-road on fire trails and bridleways it was an absolute nightmare, throw in mud and i was cursing like a drunk pirate.
On road i really felt the extra drag compared to panniers, wasn't so bad on the flat but up and down hills i just didn't like the feel at all.

If your thinking about a trailer your best bet is to try on out before handing over your hard earned as i'm certain if i'd have tried my old one loaded i would not have bothered.
That's just me for the riding i did/do mind.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Definitely takes a little extra training before you do not feel the drag at all, good idea to get a test ride but make sure you put weight in the trailer or it will be like a flag behind you on the test when at speed, i have also had some pirate swearing moments but it was crossing a singletrack in a waterlogged field, don't mind admitting i was close to tears and a stamping fury on bike and trailer and kit but managed to avoid it, just.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
You get in the wrong mud and there is definite trouble and strife to fight through it lol

bob-ibex-trailer-stuck-in-mud-tibet.jpg

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I was not that bad but i only had a loaded trailer and a backpack on when i got stuck, ended up carrying the drybag and trailer to edge of the field and then dragging my bike out, me, bike and the kit looked like we had been found whilst dredging a river bed by the time i got out, i was just glad my fitness level was at the point where i could not feel the trailer drag when cycling normally, if that had happened in the first week of use i'd have left it where it got stuck and probably stayed there myself fossilised for the future

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE