Walnut Spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Made these from a nice chunk of Walnut that was "foraged" earlier this year while i was out and about on a bimble, since the day it "fell" into my possession, the log has been on the wood pile and ive kept looking at it and thinking how best to use it.

DSCN8751.jpg

I was going to make two, fairly big serving spoons from it, but yesterday, i decided instead of using the two halves, i would take it down further into quarters and try to maximise the wood, as it's not often you get a decent chunk of Walnut like this around here, having quartered the log, i set about carving it with the axe, the first spoon off the block was the bottom one, the next one no longer exists as i snapped it in half - oops, the other two pictured are, well from the other two quarters.

DSCN8753.jpg

The colour the wood has taken is superb and once it was oiled the colours really started to pop, due to the way i carved these, the best grain patterns are on the reverse of the spoons, all of the spoons have a tooled "off the knife" finish and were oiled using pure Tung Oil.

DSCN8738.jpg

DSCN8736.jpg

DSCN8743.jpg

It made a really nice change to use a wood that had some character to it, as i normally get to carve white woods like Hazel, Sycamore & Willow, now all i have to hope for, is when im out on a bimble and sitting under the Walnut tree having a brew, is another piece just happens to fall off and land in my bag.:rolleyes:

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Well that's a thing, my walnut spoons turned out a much lither colour from the same branch, the other walnut that I use is the same colour you have there Kepis, that came from a wood pile from a friend.
Nice spoons mate.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Well that's a thing, my walnut spoons turned out a much lither colour from the same branch, the other walnut that I use is the same colour you have there Kepis, that came from a wood pile from a friend.
Nice spoons mate.

Cheers mate, the colour difference is probably because you carved the wood when it was slightly green, whereas this was well seasoned, was lucky you were there when this branch fell off the tree:)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
That happens a lot round here, strange indeed :D

Nice work mate, love walnut. :)

Bizarre how that happens isnt it?, and the point it cracked at was so clean it couple have been done with a Laplander:rolleyes:

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great stuff, good to have a change of wood now and then. I've a bit of walnut somewhere saved from a tree job years ago.
Might have to have a rummage, but it'll be well seasoned now.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nature truly is a wonderful and generous entity :D

That it is Mark, would you believe that today, when i got back to the car after a day in the woods, i noticed that a load of 4" diameter Sycamore had some how fallen into my pack while i wasnt looking - Nature is indeed a wonderous thing, in more ways than one:rolleyes::)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Great stuff, good to have a change of wood now and then. I've a bit of walnut somewhere saved from a tree job years ago.
Might have to have a rummage, but it'll be well seasoned now.

cheers mate, post yours up when you get it done

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE