Walking stick making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

elrond

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2006
Alba
I have recently been given an old walking stick, which is missing the brass ferrule (sp?) for protecting the end.
I have sourced them on-line but the minimum order is a dozen - I just need the one.
does anyone any which they would be willing to swap for something or even sell.
the size is approx 25mm dia.
cheers

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
If all else fails, you could do worse than to rummage around the plumbing section of your nearest DIY store. A short section of brass pipe ; drill a small hole to take a single brass retaining screw.
Done it on a few of mine.

Ceeg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'd go with the copper pipe, it's what I will be doing. A steel nail in the bottom to spread the wood and grip the pipe and also give a wearing surface will do the job. Or, hopefully a member may have a spare they could sell or swap. I know I need a piece of leather thong for my walking staff, but I don't need a whole spool of the stuff, so if anyone can help me out!;)

:D

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
What do you need Spamel, an off cut, or some thonging to make a braid with, or a lump of braid, readymade ?
I have some sheet vegtan in just over 2mill, that I cut thongs from and have used to make small braids.
Any good?

Ceeg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Dunno! I will take a picture of my staff, it has a hole burned through and a piece of paracord as a lanyard at the moment!:yuck: A piece of leather thonging would look much nicer I think. I still have to get the copper pipe for my ferrule, I have some larger pipe, but it is just too big. I need to get some 20 mm pipe, or maybe a Yorkshire fitting which has some nice protruding bits where solder is ready for fitting pipes together. The shape would look nicer than just a straight bit of pipe.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I have recently been given an old walking stick, which is missing the brass ferrule (sp?) for protecting the end.
I have sourced them on-line but the minimum order is a dozen - I just need the one.
does anyone any which they would be willing to swap for something or even sell.
the size is approx 25mm dia.
cheers

End of a shotgun cartridge?!?

Also got 20KG of black leather thonging if anyone needs any!

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Oim a plumber, you'm need a 22mm end cap. That will have an inside diameter of 22mm.

A plain one end feed solder one will cost you about 75p, a yorkshire fitting one with the pretty solder ring will cost about £1. B&Q ain't cheap for these things, but is is cheaper than wickes et al.

Alternatively you could go for a 28mm one, which is just over the inches and may look a tad better depending on how broad your stick is.

I would offer to post you one but it would cost more in postage than the item is worth.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, I've tried the end of a shotgun cartridge and a big nail through it, and it seems to do the job! There is a slight gap where the staff is tapered at the bottom, but it is nothiong too large. I crimped the end in slightly with a wierd contraption I made from two kitchen table knives and a bit of string! I don't think it looks too bad myself. I'll get some pictures up.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
HPIM2965.jpg

Handle is slightly cracked due to my impatience and force drying the wood in a few weeks on the radiator! :rolleyes:

HPIM2966.jpg

Shotgun and nail ferrule. The nail was cut down to just over an inch and then re pointed with a dremel. It should wear down over time to a nice even shape.

HPIM2967.jpg

The whole staff comes up to the bottom of my sternum. I have oiled it, I think I might get some wax and rub it down with that to really polish it up nice. I left the bark on in areas as it looks a bit rough and ready, and the staff isn't completely straight as I didn't want it to be. I steamed a bend out at the bottom of the staff and it seems to be holding its new position. I have a few more staffs, but they are drying a bit more naturally! I'll do them in the winter time.

elrond

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2006
Alba
Oim a plumber, you'm need a 22mm end cap. That will have an inside diameter of 22mm.

A plain one end feed solder one will cost you about 75p, a yorkshire fitting one with the pretty solder ring will cost about £1. B&Q ain't cheap for these things, but is is cheaper than wickes et al.

Alternatively you could go for a 28mm one, which is just over the inches and may look a tad better depending on how broad your stick is.

I would offer to post you one but it would cost more in postage than the item is worth.
thanks for the offer sir. but i'm going to try the shotgun cart end 1st.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE