Walking Staff - first attempts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I cut some hazel sticks from a local wood about 18 months ago and they have been in my shed drying ever since. I thought it was about time I tried my hand at stickmaking:

mmw4.jpg

The top is red deer antler and the wrist strap is 3mm veg-tanned leather with my logo laser-etched on. The "handle" is some nice Italian upholstery leather I picked up somewhere and the collar is brass.

4z9d.jpg

I used a rubber ferrule so that wouldn't make a racket on tarmac:
lec5.jpg

I straightened it with a heat gun (prior to making it) and finished it with Teak Oil.

Also made this one with a piece of red deer antler topped with buffalo horn:

d2f2.jpg

And was so chuffed with myself that I took a trip up to the woods and came back with this lot ready for next year (or the one after...):
7fb3.jpg

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
Those look great. Especially the first one. You must have the patience of a Saint to have them locked up for that long without touching them. :)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I like that, I have a nice Hazle stick that I cut about 6 Months ago That I am waiting to make a stave out of,

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Excellent work! I just love a good staff and those are lovely, in particular the leather handle/grip on the top one. All self-made gear is very much more personal, as we all know, but a stick is more so for me; probably 'cause it's always in your hand and becomes an intimate part of you while you walk with it.....................

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Nice work there fella, I enjoy a spot of stickmaking myself. Beware it can become quite addictive:)

I know! I made 5 sticks in all and gave 3 away to my walking buddies. (No photos, sorry.) No more seasoned sticks to work with so I have to wait until the ones in the last photo are ready.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE