Walk in the woods - wild camping question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 25, 2011
london
Hello there, new member here.Me and some pals are desperate to “get away from it all” for a weekend this summer and we want to do a a long three-day walk and (wild) camping somewhere in the UK. I was just wondering if any of you would be kind enough to advise on a walk that meets (roughly) the following criteria:

1) lasts about three days

2) that is totally isolated and we are highly unlikely to see another human being for days.

3) that has a good forest section – we want to “take a walk in the woods” and are not that interested in big open mores/spaces etc (think Blair Witch! – sorry, childish!)

4) that has some stunning views and is generally scenic and an “experience”…nice valleys and hills would be a plus

5) and some rivers and lakes (in case we run out of water!) would be great as well!

If any of you can help, you would make four city/town lads who are desperate to get out into the country (leaving nothing but our footprints, of course very happy!

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Firstly, welcome to the forum.

Usual disclaimer: wild camping is technically illegal in England and Wales unless in areas where it is designated as acceptable (mainly Dartmoor). Scotland is OK.

Point 2 on your list is next to impossible unless you head to Scotland and even there it is unlikely in summer. On the other hand, place that come to mind might be:
The Hafren Forest in mid Wales (you can also trek to the sources of the Wye and the Severn in this area.
Grisedale Forest in the Lake District
Forest of Dean - close to my heart (and home) and busy with visitors but gorgeous just the same.

I'd recommend a "shakedown cruise" using commercial campsites to make sure you all get on and can work together.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
If you want to splurge on some airline tickets, I know of a place that fits all the criteria and then some....

kpa10051.jpg

SANY0118-1.jpg

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Easy enough in Scotland to lose yourself for a few days. I've been doing three and four day trips for years and very rarely meet anyone else while out and about.

The Lochaber region would be worth a look, Sunart and the likes.
Campbelltown to Crinan along the ridge, lots of wee lochs and woods, lovely veiws to the islands either side. Brief moment of civilisation at Tarbert but other than that only a couple of single track roads to cross.
Maybe a circular route somewhere in Galloway forest?

Those are just the ones that pop to mind, there are plenty of other places where I haven't spent much time.
Spent a weekend in the hills and woods between Lochs Ard and Lomond a while back. Middle of summer, didn't meet a soul. Must admit that did surprise me a bit as the Trossachs are about as busy as it gets up this way.
Just about anwhere you can walk a bit from an FC carpark, head off along a firebreak and it's unlikely you'll bump into anyone else until you get near another footpath again.

Have a nice time wherever you end up and welcome to the forum. :)

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
Avoid going during the school holidays to increase your chances of a quiet journey, and also try to do your trip during the working week as well to avoid weekenders and day-trippers. You might also think about devising your own route, unless someone here can suggest one of their own, rather than following a "set route" e.g The Pennine Way.

Keilder Forest and the surrounding area in Northumberland is well worth visiting. It's a very sparsely populated region and not particularly "developed" in terms of tourists or organised recreation, and what there is can easily be avoided.

Kerne's suggestions above are good choices too.

Conrad81

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Edinburgh
Scotland would be a good choice as far as needing permission because you have a lot more freedom here, a lot of land open to you.

How is your groups level of camping experience? If you have not spent many nights out it may be a good idea to spend a night or two , in the coming months leading up to summer, out somewhere local to you guys where you can work out the best equipment and shelter set up, cooking methods, navigation etc..

I am sure you will find what you are looking for, there are some really beautiful places to be visited in Britain. Good on you for wanting to get out there.

All the very best!

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Hello there, new member here.Me and some pals are desperate to “get away from it all” for a weekend this summer and we want to do a a long three-day walk and (wild) camping somewhere in the UK. I was just wondering if any of you would be kind enough to advise on a walk that meets (roughly) the following criteria:

1) lasts about three days

2) that is totally isolated and we are highly unlikely to see another human being for days.

3) that has a good forest section – we want to “take a walk in the woods” and are not that interested in big open mores/spaces etc (think Blair Witch! – sorry, childish!)

4) that has some stunning views and is generally scenic and an “experience”…nice valleys and hills would be a plus

5) and some rivers and lakes (in case we run out of water!) would be great as well!

If any of you can help, you would make four city/town lads who are desperate to get out into the country (leaving nothing but our footprints, of course very happy!

You don't say how experienced you are.
Have you ever done anything like this before? If not, or if it's been a long time since childhood camping in the local woods, I'd suggest you go for a one-night taster and see how you get on.
Going for more than one day puts you into a whole new realm - amount you have to carry, personal discipline, how you all get on after only a little sleep, hygiene (yourself and your pots/pans), different fitness levels, coping with injuries (just sprains, aches and pains).
I say go for it, absolutely go for it. GET OUT THERE AND ENJOY IT! But try a one-nighter first.
However, if you've done it all before and know what you're doing, then fill your boots! But I reckon you haven't or you wouldn't be here asking questions...

Metis Man

Jan 30, 2011
Manitoba Canada
I would be willing to guide a group in Manitoba.... Or offer route suggestions. For new-bees be careful and do some stuff close to home read a lot and practice. It takes time to learn bush skills and every area is different. I have heard of to many people getting in trouble because they were not prepared for the conditions or had unrealistic goals. you can die in the bush or put others at risk finding and rescuing you. I had a guy on the phone that taught wilderness survival when ask were he learned it he told me he had SAS training funny but he had a Canadian accent. There are a lot of bull S@#$ teachers be careful who you pick and check them out. Always file a trip plan dont take silly risks a busted Canoe is not funny when you are 200 miles from help.

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
Mid Wales. Walk from Aberystwyth to Rhyader via Elan Valley - with a bus back to Aber if you need one!

Can't get more remote than that - but you'll never be more than 10 miles from a village nor a couple of miles from a farm if there's an emergency.

And if you need guiding - let me know as I'm always up for a few nights out!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE