Vortha (or Vorthas?)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Vortha-74.jpg

Isn’t it often the case that the simplest ideas are often the most useful.

This is based on a Saami idea first shown to me by Paul Kirtley on a weekend workshop organised by Steve.

They are very similar to puttees but the problem I have had with puttees in the past is stopping them from unravelling at the most inopportune moments.

The difference with these is the length of cord at each end.

Airing_Parka_and_Vortha.jpg

This pair were woven quickly for me as an experiment by Debs just before my recent Arctic trip and the warp was extended, braided off and secured with a simple knot at the end.

To use them a loop on the long end is pushed through your boot laces near the hem of your trousers and then the knot pushed through the loop to temporarily secure them.

The cord and then the fabric band is then wrapped around the bottom of your trousers until you come to the cord on the other end which is then just pushed under the last wrap of the cloth band.

Because there is a knot at the end of the short cord, that tends not to slip out from under the band which secures things very well. The other end being fastened to you boots also stops the trouser hem from riding up.

The intention is to prevent snow from migrating up under your trouser leg and into the top of your boots and this they achieve perfectly.

When removed they are simple and quick to dry out too. Much less fuss than gaiters.

Debs is now weaving a fancier pair for me but I can see these getting plenty of use as they are in the future.

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Ice_Fishing.jpg

I had a look but couldn’t find many pictures that show them in use, this one, out on the ice doing some fishing, is about the best I have at the moment.

Sorry Gary.. I just have to have a laugh every time I see that picture... the look on your face is classic, almost as if you're thinking 'what the **** am I doing here' :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
What sort of dimensions are you talking for these Gary? I find myself wearing putees regularly and have never had them come loose yet.

ATB

Ogri the trog

MickeS

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Sweden
You can check out how to tie Vuoddaga (sami), skoband (swedish), skålleband (norwegian) in this video made by Rungkit;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMTNwVw-VhY&feature=player_embedded#!
In the video he also discusses in what direction the bands should be tied, but its in swedish:)...

I use a slightly different model, with a leather string that you tie around your pants/shoe, so they are not attached to the shoe like yours and Rungas in the video.
Skoband.jpg

I use my ones in the winter, to keep snow out of the shoes.

Skoband-1.jpg

And yes, the dimensions - the leather is long enough to go 2 laps around the leg, the woven band is ca 2 inches wide and long enough to reach about 4 to 5 laps around the leg.

Last edited:

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
This is based on a Saami idea first shown to me by Paul Kirtley on a weekend workshop organised by Steve.

Finnish author T. I. Itkonen claims on his book Suomen Lappalaiset vuoteen 1945 ("The Finland Lapps to the year 1945") that it was the Finns who tought the Sámi how to made vuodtâ (Paula(t) in Finnish). Instead of tablet weaving these were made in Finnish Lapland with younger and easier to learn inkle weaving, while Finns kept using the older tablet weaving technique.

The length of vuodtâ are mentioned to be two fathoms for men, half of which is cord, and width as two fingers. The Finnish ones were identical but with different patterns and colours. The oldest ones are made of pure wool but more younger and made of cotton or cotton/wool blend.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I do love gear like this!

So if I understand correctly this is wrapped around the bottom of the legs and than tied with a knot?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Finnish author T. I. Itkonen claims on his book Suomen Lappalaiset vuoteen 1945 ("The Finland Lapps to the year 1945") that it was the Finns who tought the Sámi how to made vuodtâ (Paula(t) in Finnish). Instead of tablet weaving these were made in Finnish Lapland with younger and easier to learn inkle weaving, while Finns kept using the older tablet weaving technique.

The length of vuodtâ are mentioned to be two fathoms for men, half of which is cord, and width as two fingers. The Finnish ones were identical but with different patterns and colours. The oldest ones are made of pure wool but more younger and made of cotton or cotton/wool blend.

That sounds just like what I was shown.

Interesting to find a bit more about them.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
An example of Finnish ones from Seurasaari Open Air Museum. The shoes on the photograph, however, were only used during summer by women.
Finnish_paula.jpg

MickeS

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Sweden
Seems like the earlier video is unavailable, but here's another one...

[video=youtube;IQrmSWaBCJE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQrmSWaBCJE[/video]

Translated texts
-Saami shoe bands
-The oldest way to tie shoes is with a shoe band of leather
-Today the bands are braided or woven of wool yarn
-The band is attached to the eyelets on the shoe with at leather or braided wool band
-Shoe bands should be tied outwards. Wrongly tied bands are a notice of accidents or death
-The shoe band is tightly wound around the ankle to stop water and snow from entering [the shoe]
-The band is finished with a tassel
-You distinguish male and female bands and use different bands in different regions
-Here are some variations. Female bands from Karesuando
-Female bands from Vilhelmina
-Male bands from Jokkmokk
-Here the trousers are tucked in to the shoes, which is common today

Hope this helps:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE