volunteered for an event!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
And by that I meen that I have been volunteered!

Let me explain, I've been volunteering at a local nature reserve as part of a conservation degree (hi Karlos.)
During my initial interview with the ranger I let slip that I have attended a well known Bushcraft course, well now it transpires that I am going to be organising and running an event in the summer!

So does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should put into it?
Shelter building is a given, and a nature trail will probably go down well but what else?

Suggestions on the back of a metaphorical post card here please.

Cheers, Alan.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
What is your target audience? How long will the session be for?

• Firecraft always goes down well IMHO (Flint & Steel / Ferro rod etc)
  • Safe use of knives (whittle a tent peg)

I'm sure more will add to the list any second now...

Simon

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
Thanks Simon,

AFAIK it could be all ages, the last one I attended was.

Thanks again for the suggestions, it'll be on a counsel run reserve so I 'll have to find out what I can get away with.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Do the same activities that were on your course Alan,
Some "ordinary folk" hardly realise that there are different types of tree, let alone that they have different properties and uses!
If you can have a range of things up your sleeve, and tailor the session to the needs of the majority.
A simple walk in the woods, pointing out the various trees & plants would be great for some people, fire-lighting or tool use or a cordage demo might suit others.

There's nothing that is beyond your capabilities.

Enjoy it

Ogri the trog

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
some basic rules i learnt when i use to teach outdoor education were-

kiss - keep it simple stupied.
prepare prepare prepare.
have a back up plan

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
As said,keep it simple.

I've done some nature walks and surprised myself by how much I took for granted that the 'punters' didn't know.

Rudimentary shelter would be good,why not throw up a tarp quickly as well as a den?
It'll show folk it's simple to get out of the rain fast.

Firelighting with ferro rod etc and how to cheat i.e. with some inner tube.

Have some wood ready made showing stages from log to spoon.

Hope that helps.

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
Wow, thanks for the suggestions.

I don't think of my level of knowledge as being particularly great, but then I suppose it's considerably greater than when I started.

Ogri it's good to hear from you again, how's it going?

I've now got to prod my normally dodgy memory into remembering what we did.

Again thanks to you all for your help, I have until next summer to prepsre so I should be able to come up with something.

Cheers, Alan.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Projects and/or sessions?

How about starting with a simple ... pouch ... as a craft project. A quick/simple one would be to take a large circle of leather/canvas/clothe, punch a number or holes through it around the outside edge but in about 1/2 inch, then thread a leather or paracord bootlace through those holes to act as a drawstring. Just make sure you have an even number of holes, and start your drawstring by going in from what will be the outside of the pouch. By the time you go in-n-out of all the holes around the outside, you will end up having both ends sticking out next to each other. Knot these together. Now pull the drawstring through the holes to "cinch" the top together.

This gives the participants a little project to start the day, and then gives them a pouch to collect their little "projects and treasures" in as the day proceeds.

Plant/tree indentification
Rock identification
Woven ring/bracelet - if you have some thin willow or grapevine branches, weave up a simple bracelet/ring.

You can do the same thing with various sizes of rope/cord. Like taking a lenght of 1 inch diameter rope three times the length of the ring you want to make. Use a little friction or masking tape to wrap the ends of each of the three individual strands that make up the rope. Now unwind those three strands. Now take one of those strands, create a loop/ring 1/3 of its length, and start winding it back around itself. The strands will start to fit back together just like the original rope. As you wind it back around itself the third time, it will start to look just like that original rope. Where the two ends meet, clip them even and kind of "poke" them together. A few drops of glue will help those ends bind together and keep them from ... unwinding ... again. Your rope "rings" can now be used to improvise a ring toss game, or use them as handles on a basket project. Many old sea chests had handles made like this.

If you have cold weather and snow, you can make Indian style Snow Snakes and start up a game. A web search should lead you to more info. Plus you can also do the game on grass or a paved road/parking lot. It just doesn't go as far.

Just a few quick thoughts to share.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Bark container projects always seem to go over well. But the problem is getting the bark.

So a way to do something similar would be to use another material instead of bark - but using the same techniques.

Use heavy/thick clothe, or thin single/layer cardboard, or heavy construction paper. Each will bend/fold/punch pretty similar to birch bark - or even elm bark.

Just another little thing to think about.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
some basic rules i learnt when i use to teach outdoor education were-

kiss - keep it simple stupid.
prepare prepare prepare.
have a back up plan

Some of the best advice I've seen for ages:cool:

Whatever you decide on, make sure you agree it all with the people in charge well before hand and most importantly; Practice everything ,at least once, in the actual area you will be using.;)
best wishes
R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE