An unintended solo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am thinking of changing my name to "William Loveless" as I seem to be "Billy Nomates" at the moment!
At the last minute everyone coming on this months meet pulled out (they blamed work - huh!) so I was solo from 4pm Friday until Noon on Sunday (except for a visit from my wife on Sat evening - and she did not even stop for a coffee!) up in my basecamp in the woods.
During that time I enjoyed the sounds of nature, from the cheeky Blackbird that kept visiting to steal feed from around the site, coming right up to me on several occasions, to the Badgers having a domestic - in both setts around the site! The Less Spotted Woodpecker was busy hollowing out a tree and Tree-creepers were zooming around while Kites patrolled overhead. All this in bright sunshine that had the Bluebells pouring out their scent.
I did get a bit of work done on the shelter - adding a crude bench and a gear ledge as well as a rack for the frying-pans etc - but forgot to get photos and I tried splitting some poles but the maul Stewart made on the last meet soon broke, my old one that Stewart's was to replace split and so I had to make a new maul and wedges set ... which survived - so far! Unfortunately the poles all had 90 degree twists in them...
I also set to making 5 tea-towel's worth of charcloth - but although they were labeled "cotton" the tea-towels seem to have been a blend and the results were crisp lumps of char that were useless and ended up acting as charcoal on the fire!
It was nice to have the peace and quiet after a busy week - not that I have anything against those who dropped out of the meet - it was their loss!
P5050009.jpg
P5060022.jpg
P5060023.jpg

Attachments

• P5050014.jpg
    P5050014.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 25

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Don't apologize for a lack of pictures. Clearly, your mind was preoccupied with greater things.
I get the same here = nobody wants to share a day of outdoors, pruning grapes vines, sunshine or not.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Their loss Mr Fenna; it sounds a truly excellent busy chill out weekend.

I am thoroughly enjoying this dry weather, no doubt it'll be boring soon enough, but for the present it's a lovely time of year to be out and busy.

M

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
That's appalling, Mr Fenna, does your Mrs fenna not enjoy coffee when you make then? Or is it maybe your company she was objecting to? I find that hard to believe so, I am thinking it's just you make really terrible coffee, Either way it's their loss indeed Mr Fenna, sounds like you had a great time just the same, great report Mr Fenna I would have enjoyed such a day myself & would have politely drank your terrible coffee, & would have told you it was lovely. Shame on Mrs Fenna...

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Well book me a spot later in the year. My family and I have been talking about a trip to Pembrokeshire for a while, we havent been for a couple years but used to go all the time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE