Voice Your Opinion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapling

Sep 27, 2007
Glasgow
Was curious about people’s views on the following little experiment I carried out.

I needed a knife to cut rope/webbing etc. In an emergency situation for white water kayaking. This prompted me to conduct a little comparison between a plain edge knife and a 50/50 plain/serrated edge blade cutting through some fairly substantial cordage and was quite surprised by the results. From my not so scientific research I concluded that the pain edge was far superior.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Depends on the serrations, some work better than others. Personally I'd rather carry a decent serrated edge when climbing than a plain. Spydercos have a brilliant serration that can outperform any plain edge on rope cutting, but it is marginal.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
most knives don't come very sharp and i don't know anybody who has sharpened a serrated blade. where both equally as sharp?

in my experience all serrated knives have been rubbish.

pete

sapling

Sep 27, 2007
Glasgow
Yes mate, they were more or less equally sharp.
The trouble I found was that the serrations caused the cut to 'stall' then skip leaving the cord only partially cut.
The plain edge required less effort and cut much more cleanly.

D

Deleted member 7976

Whilst I'd normally not go near a serated edge with the preverbial barge pole, for the specific role you are looking for (emergency and submerged) I would favour the serated edge over the plain, as in my experience in using dive knives to cut rope and netting underwater the serated blade works much better. The one thing to look out for it the type of serations - tight sawtooth like serrations don't seem to work very well, whereas the longer shallower scallops (like on some breadknives) do perform.

Sharpening is a complete pain agree but shouldn't really be an issue in a rescue knife.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Plain edge for me everytime, I just do not like serratted, do not have confidence in sharpening them and for what I need a blade for they have limited use. That said I do own a few serrated and part serrated including a Spyderco atlantic salt which lives on my PFD which I like alot and would use it with confidence should the need arise. And hopefully I'll never need to sharpen it

I have had one of my Charges for over 5yrs and I cannot recall using the serrated blade at all.

Cracking bread knives.......and for cheese!

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
IMHO good serrations win for emergency cutting of rope/webbing. A sharp plain edge will do a better job, but in my experience become ineffective due to blunting faster than serrations. Serrations cut better when sharp, but work better blunt than a blunt plain edge. I could, of course, simply say that I won't let my knives get blunt - and I don't. But in an emergency I'm not going to bet more than a bottle of beer on it. Certainly nobody's life.

Some serrations, particularly on cheaper folders, are mahoosive and skip across tough webbing. The only solution to this is... better serrations! I find the smaller ones work better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE