visiting the reindeer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
This weekend Katy and myself (And her sister+ fiancee) went up to Aviemore to see the Reindeer.
There is a fairly large herd of them living on the hills above Aviemore.
Granted, it's a bit of a tourist event, but it's still worth a couple of hours of your time if you're in the area.
Lovely animals, and quite domesticated. They were a little stroppy, but that was probably due to the fact that their lunch was an hour late due to the clocks going back. :D.

photos to come....

and here they are..

some of the herd.

do you have food??

the bull.
(i have to admit, the thought did occur to me, they'll never miss one or two ;) )

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Agree worth a look (and it is a great area, lots of hills, lochs and Scots pine). The reindeer click as they walk. I guess it was lack of food causing the stroppiness rather than their hormones as reindeer rut about a month earlier than Red deer, who are still pretty noisy round here.

The Scottish Deer Centre at Cupar is also a good day out. I am doing my DSC1 this weekend so I visited last week for a bit of identification practice, and the staff were very helpful. The red stags were roaring and noticeably smelly.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Whats the Aviemore area like? I was thinking of heading up there at some point as I can get cheap sleeper tickets from London.

Is it possible to wild camp in the Rothiemurchus forest?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
aviemore is great. plenty of outdoor shops to enjoy :D
as to the forest question, i'd imagine that you can due to the outdoor access legislation.
i'm sure someone will be able to give a definitive answer though.

i've added a few pictures to the first post btw.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've stayed at a place called Norweigen Lodge up there with the Army several times, it's just down the road from the Reindeer centre and I've stopped in several times to see the deer.
It's nice to see the herd and I'd say if anybody is passing through the area then it's worth stopping to have a look.

It was also nice to see them out on the mountain side and as when I was there they tended to stay on the lower slopes it was a welcome site as it usually meant I was near the end of a rather long tab :D

Nice photos Graham, thanks for sharing :)

Bam. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE