Visit to Scotland / Lomond Camping?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hello chaps,

I'm coming back to Scotland for a week and the missus has never been to Scotland at all. Original plan was to take her out hiking and camping in Sutherland but I'm not sure if we're gonna make it all the way up there this year.

Shes' a newbie camper and I want to show her an easy night on the banks of Loch Lomond. If it were out of the banned season I would have just gone to one of the little beachs before Rowardennan.

Now am I right in thinking the banned section ends at Rowardennan? I've hiked thru the area north of rowardennan on the WHW but don't know it well enough to recall a spot.

So.. Anyone familiar with the area recommend a nice little bay or spot on the waters edge north of there but not too far (say under 10km walk), or heck, even another area in the trossachs? I'm renting a car for a week so we're pretty flexible.

Also, to any Scots on the boards.. Anything interesting on in the middle of October festivals wise? Any cool exhibitions or cultural things? Trying to think where to show the missus, Glasgow and Edinburgh centres are a for sure, including the royal mile and castle (she'll like that), Glasgow's cathedral and necropolis, the museums (Kelvingrove, GOMA, Burrell collection).

If we end up not going up to Caithness/Sutherland I want to take her into the highlands, maybe try and convince her to climb Ben Nevis (but thats' if the weather is nice). Scenic route up? I was thinking up to Aviemore and then back down the west coast, just give her a little tour.

What else comes to mind?

Anyways, cheers guys :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im intrigued as well. How does this affect the people walking the west Highland Way? [A route thats on 'the list' ] Which follows the east side of Loch Lomond all the way?

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
You just have to thru hike that section I guess. It's from Drymen to Rowardennan IIRC. I'd like clarification on how far the ban extends, if at all, past the Rowardennan site/parking, tho.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
How about a visit to Glen Affric /Strathfarrar just as the leaves change colour in a few weeks time? http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochness/glenaffric.shtml

Lots of lovely walks and Autumn light. Don't both going up the Ben Nevis tourist track it's dreadful however unless you've done a fair bit of mountaineering it's the safest option.
Some of the other well known hills like Ben Lomond and Ben Lawers are IMO better walks. Aviemore is quite nice and has some good shops (which may please your wife!), Rothemuircus forest has some great walks through the woods.

The far North is always good: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ullapool/assynt.shtml

baldscot

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2011
glasgow
Im pretty sure the ban exists up to Ptarmigan lodge. There's a nice little stretch just beyond it - had a night there a few months back. There is a footpath, but its way above and you would be out of site of anyone following this. Park at rowerdennan and its about a 30 min walk on a decent path.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Limaed, Glen Affric looks very nice, and is somewhere I haven't been. Ben Lomand might be a good shout, actually.

baldscot, thanks for that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE