Vintage WW2 Machete info required please guys....

chutes

Banned
May 6, 2012
Australia
That's called a "bolo" machete (or "matchet" in WWII Australian military parlance). It's a Canadian contract version and probably worth between 50 and 70 quid to a collector. If the leather scabbard is in good nick then you're laughing. Note that the one in the ebay ad is actually brand new. What looks like corrosion and gunge is actually dried cosmoline and wax paper remnants - tropic-proofing. Both the Matchet and the scabbard would clean up to an almost mint condition. Because it is an early issue (1941-42ish) it has the leather scabbard instead of the canvas one. As you can imagine leather scabbards didn't last long in the humidity and rain encountered in military operations in the jungle, so it's come out of stores, never having been issued.

That pattern of machete was the most common Commonwealth issue during WWII. British and Aus versions can be distinguished only by the maker's marks and the fact they have chequered bakelite grip scales. The big fat area near the tip of the blade chops deep with less effort in the same sort of fashion as a kukhri, so it's an effective tool for jungle use or for clearing light scrub in a temperate zone - just takes a lazy swing of the arm from the elbow, combined with a light flick of the wrist.

If it were mine I'd keep it and use it, but look after it.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
thanks for that, mine has the leather scabbard and both machete and scabbard are in excellent condition, the handle on mine is i believe Ebony.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
thanks for that, mine has the leather scabbard and both machete and scabbard are in excellent condition, the handle on mine is i believe Ebony.

I've also got one, from when i cleared out my dads place, the scabbards stiching had split & my wife threw(just the scabbard not the machete ) it away, mine is war dated but has black plastic(bakerlite ?)scales/handle.

Rob

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
i have no need for it Ged, it's been sitting unused in my parents garage for the past 15 years

hiya robbi, i used to have the self same one some 40 odd years ago, i think my brother nicked it! for old times sake be nice to have one again, wouldnt mind first refusal if ever you wanted to part with it?

steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE