Possible choice for winter canvas tent conversion?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,
So I would really like a canvas tent. This was sparked again by seeing one locally for sale, yet it is a prospector tent at 13' x 15', with very heavy looking poles, and it's still $700 CAD. So I started digging online, and I think what I would really like to have for me and the misses, and possibly a friend is the Snowtrekker EXP Crew wedge tent.

expcrew.jpg

However I don't exactly have $1200 kicking around to spend on a tent.

So I'm searching and searching trying to see what is possible, what is out there, etc, expecting to be fully disappointed and then I see this ad on ebay.

puptent.jpg

Now, it is a little small, but I probably wouldn't be using cots. I'm wondering if any of you guys thing it is doable to a) install a stove jack in this, and b) sleep two people with a stove without catching it or yourself on fire. If it is possible to convert it would be a great solo canvas tent, however I need to fit two people. At $100 including shipping it seems like a steal.

Thoughts?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hiya,

At $100 including shipping I'd be tempted for solo use, and think you may get away with you solo and a stove. But two up and a stove would be a no-no as there's not enough space to be safe. Do you solo camp much?

ATB,
GB.

I don't do too much solo camping, especially in the winter. However I haven't done any winter camping yet so that will probably start out as solo and eventually end up with my wife as well, or a friend, or both. So if I'm going to buy or make a tent it needs to fit at least two people and a stove.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I don't do too much solo camping, especially in the winter. However I haven't done any winter camping yet so that will probably start out as solo and eventually end up with my wife as well, or a friend, or both. So I'm going to buy or make a tent it needs to fit at least two people and a stove.

Sounds like that would be a better choice - only a bargain if you need it as Gran used to say. Good luck with your search.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Here is a video including the Snowtrekkers tent made by a really nice Canadian guy (and fellow 'stovie') showing the tent, home made stove and young children enjoying sub zero camping and having fun :)

[video=youtube;LcyxgAfdogw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcyxgAfdogw[/video]

He has an Arctic Oven tent too, shown in another video.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm a little confused. Your description says 13' x 15'. But the tent pictured doesn't look that big.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE