Viking Turnshoes - Reindeer/Sealskin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
My hooves needed new clothes, so I made myself a new pair of turnshoes this week. My current pair are getting a little tatty now, having worn them all around Norway and everyday since, and the pattern just wasn't quite right so they fit a little oddly. I will continue to wear them until they die, but I now have a much nicer pair I am really proud of, and I will never find a comfier shoe for me :)

The new turnshoes are roughly the same pattern, based on the jorvik finds, but tweaked a little to my personal tastes. The soles are thick sealskin and the body/trim are reindeer. The seam was box stitched and then turned, giving a really nice hidden seam which sits perfectly flush. Complete with traditional rolled toggles, everything was hand stitched with artificial sinew. These fit my feet perfectly and are super comfy. I will be making my turnshoes with this type of stitch from here on, what a difference it makes!

The pictures aren't the best, but they do also show off the reindeer skin trousers I made in Norway, which go with these shoes rather nicely!

CIMG5972 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

CIMG5977 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

CIMG5971 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

CIMG5958 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I like those Hamish, look as comfy as a pair of baffies but much better looking. Suppose they're a bit like European version of moccasins comfort and wear wise?

Dreadhead

They look really comfy :) How well do the soles wear?

Well, i have been wearing my current pair almost everyday for a year. That's over gravel, rocks, up hills, asphalt etc. I used pretty soft cowhide for that and there is barely a scuff on them! i am really surprised at how bombproof they are. The seal skin i used for my new pair is really something else though, it is thick and incredibly tough, but also spongey which makes a perfect sole. It is so tough, we used it as lashings for the stone age boat :)

I like those Hamish, look as comfy as a pair of baffies but much better looking. Suppose they're a bit like European version of moccasins comfort and wear wise?

Oh aye, really comfy. I like them so much because it feels like being barefoot with just enough protection from sharp things. And the soft leather flexes to your foot. Since turning to turnshoes (ha...) all my foot problems have gone away :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
They look like a good job Hamish.

I'm making a new pair at the moment. I get through a lot as I wear them almost every day at work.

I use a box seam with a chamfer cut on the sole edges which fills the gap better when the shoe is turned and protects the stitching for longer as they wear.

I probably get about 30% longer use before they bite the dust that way.

Dreadhead

They look like a good job Hamish.

I'm making a new pair at the moment. I get through a lot as I wear them almost every day at work.

I use a box seam with a chamfer cut on the sole edges which fills the gap better when the shoe is turned and protects the stitching for longer as they wear.

I probably get about 30% longer use before they bite the dust that way.

Thanks Wayland :) could you explain more about the chamfer cut? I bevelled the edges of the sole before i box stitched them, is that the same?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Sounds like it.

The bottom of the sole, when it is turned out for wearing, should be slightly larger than the inside so that the acute edge overlays the gap in the seam and the stitching with leather, if that makes any sense.

In practice, as they wear in, the "gap" then becomes almost non existent.

From the wear you are getting from your shoes, it sounds like you have it right already, but if not it was certainly a big improvement in the longevity of my shoes and worth considering on your next pair.

Dreadhead

Sounds like it.

The bottom of the sole, when it is turned out for wearing, should be slightly larger than the inside so that the acute edge overlays the gap in the seam and the stitching with leather, if that makes any sense.

In practice, as they wear in, the "gap" then becomes almost non existent.

From the wear you are getting from your shoes, it sounds like you have it right already, but if not it was certainly a big improvement in the longevity of my shoes and worth considering on your next pair.

smashing advice there thanks! That's what has sort of happened with my current tatty turnshoes, just not quite as well as i didn't box stitch them. I'm hoping these new ones wear much better as you said ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE