Viking sword scabbard

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
My love for norse culture and history often blends into my leatherwork as it is one of my main sources of inspiration and nothing is better than when i am asked to make viking equipment!

This scabbard was commissioned by a member here for a handmade sword meant as a gift. The sword will be used in reenactment battles and so the scabbard was to be sturdy enough to withstand the wear and tear of combat.

I used 3mm sego veg tan which is sturdy stuff and great for tooling. It has a Valknut symbol of Odin allfather hand carved at the top with the gift recipients name in norse runes. the belt loops have been stitched inside the seam and are adjustable for a comfortable fit on the belt. the entire scabbard has been hand saddle-stitched twice! for extra strength. The edges were a struggle to get burnished nicely and sealed with edge coating but all the hardwork paid off and the end result was a nice clean finish.

cimg2089t.jpg

cimg2085w.jpg

cimg2086t.jpg

cimg2079c.jpg

cimg2084k.jpg

He also wanted four pack patches with carved valknuts

cimg2076o.jpg

Theres a slightly longer writeup on my blog

thanks for looking

wickedwillow

Dec 29, 2010
malvern
Hamish
Thanks again for the fantastic work on the sheath, the quality & detail are just what I wanted.
What a coming of age present for my sons 18th and to welcome him to Viking reenactment, great work keep it up.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Stunning work that bud. So have you got the feeling back in your finger tips aftee all that sewing?

Dreadhead

Hamish
Thanks again for the fantastic work on the sheath, the quality & detail are just what I wanted.
What a coming of age present for my sons 18th and to welcome him to Viking reenactment, great work keep it up.

glad it all worked out Steve :)

and yeah Dwardo just! taking a break from stitching for a while, currently tooling some lord of the rings cuffs ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE