Viking "Shrine"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Not really bushcrafty but a few of you saw me working on some carvings and a new shield at the Bushmoot. Others will have noticed the carved posts by my pitch I am sure.

Their purpose was for the representation of a Viking "shrine" for use at living history shows and I thought you might be interested in seeing the final result (almost).

Viking-Shrine.jpg

This is based on an account written by Ahmad ibn Fadlān ibn al-Abbās ibn Rāšid ibn Hammād, one of the few accounts of the Vikings (who he refers to as "Rus") written with relatively little political or cultural bias.

"When the ships come to this mooring place, everybody goes ashore with bread, meat, onions, milk and intoxicating drink and betakes himself to a long upright piece of wood that has a face like a man's and is surrounded by little figures, behind which are long stakes in the ground. The Rus prostrates himself before the big carving and says, "O my Lord, I have come from a far land and have with me such and such a number of girls and such and such a number of sables", and he proceeds to enumerate all his other wares. Then he says, "I have brought you these gifts," and lays down what he has brought with him, and continues, "I wish that you would send me a merchant with many dinars and dirhems, who will buy from me whatever I wish and will not dispute anything I say." Then he goes away.

If he has difficulty selling his wares and his stay is prolonged, he will return with a gift a second or third time. If he has still further difficulty, he will bring a gift to all the little idols and ask their intercession, saying, "These are the wives of our Lord and his daughters and sons." And he addresses each idol in turn, asking intercession and praying humbly. Often the selling goes more easily and after selling out he says, "My Lord has satisfied my desires; I must repay him," and he takes a certain number of sheep or cattle and slaughters them, gives part of the meat as alms, brings the rest and deposits it before the great idol and the little idols around it, and suspends the heads of the cattle or sheep on the stakes. In the night, dogs come and eat all, but the one who has made the offering says, "Truly, my Lord is content with me and has consumed the present I brought him.
"

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
That shrine looks really good Gary and that shield is very striking indeed. I know I enjoyed seeing all of them at the moot and made an offering to them on behalf of your beer fund :rolleyes: :)

Thanks for sharing it with us :)

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Hi Gary.
I must say, your set-up at the Bushmoot, was epic. It actually looked like a display. I was inspired.
The shield and carvings are are beautiful.
Thanks for posting.
Ammo.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's a very valuable body of work with diverse carvings.
If all it did was to pique the curiosity of the viewer, you will have done a fine job.
The subject(s), the symbolism(s) and the technique(s) are revealing.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Thank you Robson, it has indeed generated a lot of public interest which creates a useful opening to discuss the beliefs, mythology and religious/political upheavals of Northern Europe at the time.

This is a subject that has interested me for many years and the challenge is to explore the subject without getting "religious" about it.

At living history shows there are usually people of every creed, old and new, and some that even profess to follow the old Norse gods too. I don't try to challenge or endorse any of that. I just try to stick to what we know and what we can reasonably infer from the evidence we have.

Just as it is on the Internet, talking to the public can be a bit of a minefield because many people confuse faith, belief and knowledge, which are not the same things at all, having a reconstruction such as this and discussing the evidence it is based upon is a good starting position even if it just serves to illustrates the many. gaps in our knowledge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE