Viking footwear.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I knocked these up for a couple of members of my group. They were over the moon with them. Thought you might like a wee look.

Veg tanned kip hide, double soles all stitched with sinew. Reinforced stitching at toes to prevent second sole from delaminating if kicked against a stone or whatever.

shoes1.jpg

shoes2.jpg

Eric

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
I'll look forward to that make sure you post a picture then. It be nice to have some shoes to go with my outfit(see avatar)

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Those look exellent Eric. I'll put the word round the guys, if anyones looking for shoes I know just the man. Work out some prices and let me know.

PS. I hope the new avatar doesn't thow you.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Those look exellent Eric. I'll put the word round the guys, if anyones looking for shoes I know just the man. Work out some prices and let me know.

PS. I hope the new avatar doesn't thow you.

Cheers mate. I do half a dozen styles. I charge around the £70 mark (an extra fiver for double soles).

Eric

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Wow they are really good, I have often fancied having a go at shoes myself, very interested in how the would turn out, are they hard to make?, or do you go of a pattern?.

Simon.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Nice work Eric.

I make my own based upon one of the York shoes and it takes a while to get the pattern just right so I hope you kept a paper pattern for future use. ;)

I have a basic pattern for each type of shoe. I just measure round the foot (with the person standing) then I take four measurements. Over the top from side to side, over the toes from side to side, from the front of the ankle down to the floor over the middle toe and round the ankle. From that, I know the shoe size, can work out the width of the vamp so they are not too tight and not too slack and can work out the distance round the heel and back to the side seam. Once I have that laid out, I just make the cuts to accommodate the pattern style. Easy peasy.

Eric

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
How did they manage without non slip soles in those days?

They are very nice, I keep meaning to do something like that one day, but keep on getting diverted by my PLCE antics.

At the moment Im making several sleeping bags for Ming too.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
How did they manage without non slip soles in those days?

Sometimes they didn't manage. I've found through experimentation though, that if you aggressively rub a block of beeswax all over the sole, it becomes very grippy. Certainly enough to allow me to walk up a grassy slope without slipping.

Talking about beeswax.....? Any more thoughts on swapps?

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE