Vihe Vaellus Loue II Shelter??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LostViking

Jun 21, 2016
Northern Adirondacks
Hey there BCUK folks.

I have the hots for one of these. Thought I might ask you guys, because there isn't much info on our side of the pond. ray Mears say it can ship to the US.

I have plenty of wood at my disposal. Looking for a 3 season tarp type shelter. I'm in the nothern Adirondacks. Temps vary widely, but this morning it was -18 F (temp not wind chill)

I much prefer an open front tarp to a tent. Never tried a hot tent. And not wanting to spend that much for a good tent/stove set up at this point.

I like the steep walls for shedding snow, and the reflective material for throwing some heat back.

I currently am testing a 10x10 (3x3 on your side of the pond) in a diamond shape, it works. But I think this Loue II Shelter might offer enough advantages to make it worth while.

Any feedback?

Thanks in advance,
LV

Last edited:

shindig

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2013
Scotland
I've had one of these since June this year and been out 12 times in varying weather. I love it for the very reasons you've mentioned.- open front and lots of space. I use it conjunction with a Dutch army hooped. bivy. One thing to watch out for is to make sure you pitch it parallel to any prevailing winds otherwise you get smoked out by the fire.

I've added 1m guy lines to the top loops as it helps maintain its shape when using sticks as tent pegs (see photo below)

In winter you'll need LOTS of firewood to keep warm. I'm getting a hottent combo for winter to cut down on wood processing and a bit more shelter from snow.

You can see photos of my on my Facebook feed . Look further down the FB posts for photos.

https://www.facebook.com/DoricDiversions/

05210cb13f5f6168fbbc9a96ab205420.jpg

0d673728c02a4e298f0e77fc30ac61e0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shindig

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2013
Scotland
Thanks.

Yip, Pug Ops. My most used bike, and favourite for bush-biking. In fact favourite for most things.

Last edited:

LostViking

Jun 21, 2016
Northern Adirondacks
shindig,

What made you choose the Loue 2 over the 1. Vertical walls or sheer size?

I'm probably over thinking this. But I thought about one for most instances and adding another for times when more shelter is needed. But I still think the vertical wall of the 2 adds more than they take away.

Looks like there is plenty of room inside to stack some wood and kindling to keep it out of the weather and at the ready. Plus enough space to duck back in and stay clear of the weather.

Having been a tarp guy for ages. I really like the added features of this design. Especially for cooler/cold weather.

Last edited:

shindig

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2013
Scotland
I choose it over the v1 due the the vertical sides. I sometimes go out wildcamping with a group of 3 or 4 people and its great for sitting out of the wind with a fire going. The vertical sides make a huge difference to the amount of space available. Plenty of room for storing firewood, bags, boots etc. I think two together would be great as a shelter, but a bit in the heavy to carry.

I did think I'd bought the wrong size when I first put it up as it appears huge. I'm a tent guy and never used a tarp before.

The lining really works well as you can feel the heat being reflected. I usually sit in cycling shorts and t-shirt all night and never get cold as long as I have the fire going.

You will Need to seam seal it, as during my last outing (mid November) it rained heavily from about midnight through to 7 am. There were a few water droplets running down the seams but my bivi bag kept me dry.

It makes a great late sprig to late fall shelter. Unless of course you have lots of bugs and mosquitoes / midgies. Then you need repellent and a smokey fire going all the time.

I have a 4 man hot tipi on the way from seek outside (a Xmas present for myself) for winter use, as during winter the prevailing winds here can change direction as much 360 degrees every hour or so. No use in driven rain or snow. I'll miss sleeping under the stars though, but I can keep the doors tied back.

Edit: I tend to camp in the same places and I make a set of wooden tent pegs and centre pole at each location. That way I don't have to make a new set every time I go camping.

Last edited:

LostViking

Jun 21, 2016
Northern Adirondacks
Shindig,

Thanks for all the feedback. It all makes good sense. I waffle between the one and the two. For just me, the one would be plenty. But for two or more people or inclement weather the Loue 2 would offer some worthwhile advantages. I almost pulled the trigger, but decided to wait until after the holidays when the postal services aren't so stressed.

From what I have seen of Seek Outside, you should be well pleased with your hot tent. Lots to be said for that route. I'm just not quite there just yet.

As I age, the cold seems colder. So I see one in my future.

Thanks again for all the help!
LV

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE