Victorinox. Why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SAK or Multitool

• SAK

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Multitool

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Neither. Full toolbox only.

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have a few and use them, but really, it is the Compact that, once I discovered how well it is made, kind of took over. I have to make a conscious decision not to have on me somewhere.

I‘m not a huge fan of SAKs having cut myself deeply when user error caused it to shut on my finger cutting into the bone. However, I travelled in SE Asia for a few months and despite being pre 9/11 I wanted something that did a lot and wouldn’t cause unwanted attention. The Compact is a superb all rounder for travel. Pick your teeth, tighten the loose screw on your glasses, cut your nails, pick a Teak wood splinter out, lie in a hammock and scrape away at a coconut shell to make a little bowl, open a can of fish. Just a brilliant thing.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I gave up on the SA knife. It was just so much faff to keep it clean. I know it seemed a brilliant idea to have all those tools at hand, but the more complicated it became the bulkier, heavier, and more awkward it was.

These days I find the tiny spyderco bug every bit as useful.
Unfortunately it 'locks' so even though the blade is tiny it's technically illegal.
Sod's law.

Useful things are knives. Really annoying having to be constantly aware that I have one when I'm out and about now though.

Went to the A&E at Bridgend from the Moot site one year. We stopped and unloaded out tools into the dash of the car, got out and then had second thoughts and had to redd through my bag and his pockets to find the rest to put in the dash too.

Round here the unlamented last MP used the slogan 'carry a knife go to jail'. No tolerance at all.
I mostly just carry pruners when out for a ramble now.

M

The Bug doesn’t lock M, but it does have a back spring snap. A lock is defined as a button or mechanism that has to be deployed in order to close the blade. The Bug is readily closable despite being stiff.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just looked, it is a bug. Tiny thing, but really sound and sharp. Keeps a decent edge too.

I got told off on BB when I said I carried it on my keychain because it 'locked'.

So, can I carry it without any issue ? well, apart from a Policeman taking notice and deciding it's an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: plastic-ninja

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Just looked, it's not the Bug, it's something like it in that range though. Tiny thing, but really sound and sharp. Keeps a decent edge too.

I got told off on BB when I said I carried it on my keychain because it 'locked'.

So, can I carry it without any issue ? well, apart from a Policeman taking notice and deciding it's an issue.

The Bug is tiny, about a 1” blade. Is it one of the stainless handled Spydercos? Or there is a ManBug that does lock, and you might well get a slap if discretion and sensible policing isn’t the order of the day.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pretty sure it is the stainless one. I've had it for so long now....ten years ? something around that.
It's still sound and it's still the handiest wee knife :)

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Pretty sure it is the stainless one. I've had it for so long now....ten years ? something around that.
It's still sound and it's still the handiest wee knife :)
Not a Dragonfly is it? I recall Thomas had a stainless steel one that he swore by. I have a Honeybee (?) on my keyring, stainless little (tiny) thing and a lady bug and a manbug for different types of day.

Reactions: Toddy

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Just looked, it is a bug. Tiny thing, but really sound and sharp. Keeps a decent edge too.

I feel the same about my Bug. Brilliantly useful little thing and 100% street legal too. Mine's on my car keys too.

Reactions: Toddy

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
I wish they'd reconsider the law with regard to bladed tools. I think that there should be exemptions for multi tools. I'd love to know the stats in relation to offences committed with them. I suspect that the tracksuit clad knife wielders amoung us may turn their noses up at a 'lame' looking multitool. Especially since they can walk into Tesco and buy a 15 inch 5 quid kitchen knife or a flea market for a Rambo style knife or even a bayonet.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
What I particularly like about the Compact is that the bottleopener and can opener have been combined into one very handy gadget. I kind of feel disappointed at the irresponsible waste of space when I see models that don't have it. :)

BTW: +1 for the Pioneer Harvester ... that's a real beaut .. especially in the garden ... It'd be even better with the Compact's gadget swapped in there :)

Reactions: 0000

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
What I particularly like about the Compact is that the bottleopener and can opener have been combined into one very handy gadget. I kind of feel disappointed at the irresponsible waste of space when I see models that don't have it. :)

BTW: +1 for the Pioneer Harvester ... that's a real beaut .. especially in the garden ... It'd be even better with the Compact's gadget swapped in there :)
I don't understand why they include both sometimes. Aside from the fact that you can open a bottle with almost anything, you can certainly open one with a can opener tool.

Most used items on my EDC SAK, in order of use
Scissors
Blades, I don't know what other people cut but they work for me.
Pliers... alright, giant tweezers
Mini screwdriver
Pen
Other stuff rarely

Super light the SAK walker with blade and saw only.
Two of my SAKs are ancient and I have never broken an SAK so they work for me.

Big EDC = Leatherman Wave, rarely carried outdoors.

Proper knives = my Ben Orfords.

Last edited:

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
"I don't understand why they include both sometimes."

Because each has a small, different, useful screwdriver at the end of them, would be my guess.
I've seen them. I suppose I was thinking more of the can opener on my surge which has no screwdriver.
b7301691fc855055f9908a234e2c4f4b.jpg

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I bought a Para3 a little while ago with a K390 blade and, apart from the Compact, I have hardly used anything else recently ... in a context of heavy use due to having recently moved house again. Quite something, that steel turns out to be.

Can't keep my eyes off the Mantra2 in M4 at the moment though, and am struggling to define it as a necessary replacement SAK. Got a flipper, you see, and I can't really see how a person can get through a day without on eof them :lol:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE