Victorian Dog Cemetary

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I was out and about trying to find the first snakes of 2012 today when I came across a hidden Victorian graveyard for dogs in the middle of the forest where I don't tend to go as it is a bit of a slog across fields and up steep hills. Many of the stones have been taken over by shrubbery and been buried by years of leaves and debris, but a few are still visable on the top of a hill. The oldest one was 1818. There is evidence of an old Victorian ruin of somekind with carved gables, but no idea how it pertains to the graveyard.

23Feb20127.jpg

23Feb20126.jpg

23Feb20125.jpg

23Feb20124.jpg

23Feb20123.jpg

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I found one underneath the rhododendrons at clumber park when I was a kid. The fact it was hidden made it feel like my own secret. Never been able to find it since though.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Thats brilliant!Theres a couple in my old school grounds and i've also seen a few isolated ones in local villages.Very interesting.Great that the stones are still there...

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
if i had found that site, there would have been a small cloud of dust heading at high speed towards the nearest village with me in the middle of it !!

so, JD, you up for a dare ? forget the nut man........spend a solo night there !!

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
That's very interesting,thanks for posting.

Dogs should be held in such high esteem,they possess many of the great attributes that people are lacking.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
if i had found that site, there would have been a small cloud of dust heading at high speed towards the nearest village with me in the middle of it !!

so, JD, you up for a dare ? forget the nut man........spend a solo night there !!

Hah, I'm up for that. It's a great area. Ghost dogs don't scare me, and they are too old and dead to be any good as zombies.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm curious to see the Welsh word 'Llanvihangel' in there. Are you in border country there?

Nice find.

23Feb20123.jpg

I'm on the borders where South Staffs, Worcestershire and West Mids meet. Plenty far away from Llanvihangel. They must have brought the body back all that way.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Just looked it up, and it seems that Llanvihangel means 'church of St Michael', and doesn't relate to specific place. I can think of half a dozen Llanvihangels in my area.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE