Vibram Five Fingers shoes - long term review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
The website says it may take some time to get used to them so don't give up if you you struggle to start with
Although, apart from a little tight, mine felt fine from the off

Enjoy

Mark

farmershort

Feb 16, 2010
leicestershire
Well, I'm just back from the first run in them!

So, these are my summerised thoughts - if anyone's interested:

As I mentioned in a previous post, I've done a handful of proper barefoot runs recently - I felt this meant I could 'jump straight in' as it were... I went straight out on my usual shortish run - 2 miles. The first thing I noticed is that there wasn't the immediate WOW, which you get from barefoot running. I guess most of the endorphin release must be to do with the temperature difference on your sole. That said, the VFF's did allow my toes to spread, and did allow be to feet the contours of the pavement. I think what the VFF's have given me is the ability to do 'minimalist' running in any weather on any terrain (e.g. british pavements).

As for the run itself, it was very very comfortable. It was slightly harder work than running in my soft squidgy kayano 13's. You do have to make a conscious effort to pick your feet up as you get tired. I suspect this becomes natural with time. The "picking the feet up" is simply to stop you heel striking - which will become painful very quickly. I even put in a short sprint in the last 3rd of the run, to see how they felt. If anything, it's actually easier/more natural to sprint in VFF's than it is to run/jog. I suspect this is because you're naturally on the balls of feet more during a sprint.

Oh, one last thing I thought it important to mention. A lot of noise is made about "running on your toes" or "running on the balls of your feet". You can mostly ignore this, infact, if you set off trying to 'bounce' off the balls of your feet, you'll just knacker your calves and/or your achilles. the correct running action comes very naturally when you start minimalist running. I think it's simply because bad technique hurts! as long as you remember to avoid heel striking, you should be ok, but you'll feel it and correct pretty quick anyway I reckon.

So, my review based on 1 run is that I'd rather spend £100 on some new VFF KSO's, than I would spend £100 on some new kayano's. This may change over time, but I was pretty excited about the barefoot running, and the VFF's have simply made this more achievable in our climate.

HTH

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE