Viable alternatives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Mint sauce is easy to the point we no longer buy it and make it the day before if we're having lamb (not sure if it keeps as well as commercial but it's good ime for at least a fortnight in the fridge)
Handful of fresh mint, chopped finely
Pinch of salt
4 tbsp of boiling water
4 tbsp of red or white wine vinegar
Pinch of caster sugar.

Just add them all to taste and leave it overnight to infuse. Much nicer than the stuff in jars. Just don't plant mint out in the garden do it in a pot because it spreads like wildfire and will grow pretty much anywhere.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mint sauce is easy to the point we no longer but it and make it the day before if we're having lamb (not sure if it keeps as well as commercial but it's good ime for at least a fortnight in the fridge)

Make it with all vinegar and it'll last till doomsday

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So, first of all I'm talking about kids, so please bear that in mind to what I'm saying... kiddies taste buds.

My kids like their sauces... they want their red sauce, their brown sauce and their mayonnaise. The thing is, I don't know what is in those sauces and considering we, as a family, have a varied diet of meats and vegetables... I like to know what they are eating.

So, rather than try to analyse the commercially available sauces, I've been inspired by people here who produce their own (British Red in particular) and I'd like to make a choice about the alternatives.

What can I give my kiddies that satisfies their taste buds, but contains ingredients that doesn't require a chemistry degree to identify? All suggestions considered :D

The incomparable PolyAnne linked me to this and I'm just about to make a batch - looks good though - proper brown sauce

https://lifeonasmallholding.wordpre...n-and-fruity-sauce/comment-page-1/#comment-41

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmm, nice idea :) I might give that a go :D

Actually, it brings to mind this which might make a really good oniony basis for a tomato sauce too.

If you roughly chop up a couple of onions, put them into a clean jar and just cover them with sugar, then screw the lid on tight and put the jar into the fridge. In a couple of days you'll have onion syrup.
It's a traditional sore throat remedy, but that oniony goodness packs a tasty punch too, and I reckon it'd be good added to tomato puree or passata with some seasonings to make a sauce :)

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Funny how one thing leads to another with cooking - the cooked down onions for french onion soup had me thinking similarly!

Think I like with this brown sauce recipe is I can already see different versions coming on - how about fig and dried bullace rather than date and prune?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hmm I see some of your homelaid eggs, fried but still runny on some fresh homemade (in your new breadmaker) bread slathered with some of that unctious brown sauce in your future.
We'll need pictures to slaver over of course. :D

On the onion front I do like a nice red onion marmalade as a preserve. Lovely stuff.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Funny how one thing leads to another with cooking - the cooked down onions for french onion soup had me thinking similarly!

Think I like with this brown sauce recipe is I can already see different versions coming on - how about fig and dried bullace rather than date and prune?

I was thinking something with tamarinds :)

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Cut an 'X' in the bottom end of a tomato, maybe 1" x 1". Place in boiling water for 2 minutes and spoon out. With a knife, catch each of the 4 sections of tomato skin at the center of the X and peel down. Done deal.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Cut an 'X' in the bottom end of a tomato, maybe 1" x 1". Place in boiling water for 2 minutes and spoon out. With a knife, catch each of the 4 sections of tomato skin at the center of the X and peel down. Done deal.

You must have really tough toms in BC lol, two minutes is far to long IMHO.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well the brown sauce has done its thing for a month and today I liquidised and sieved it

Bottled by British Red, on Flickr

Its excellent - a really fruity tangy recipe and will become a staple here I think!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's basically just an uncooked tomato puree that has been strained of seeds and skins.
Often though it's seasoned before use with garlic, basil, salt, etc.,

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE