Viable alternatives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
I've made both of these from Nigel Slater, blatant copy and paste below from the guardian. Tomato one was ace with fishcakes, the mushroom one was great with burgers.

TOMATO KETCHUP
This is not really a "keeping ketchup", and is something to store in the fridge. Makes about 750ml.

red onions 2
groundnut oil a little
fresh red chilli medium sized
tomatoes 800g
caster sugar 3 tbsp
malt vinegar 2 tbsp
star anise 2
Szechuan peppercorns 1 tsp
ground paprika 1 tsp
black mustard seeds 1 tbsp
Dijon mustard 1 tbsp

Peel and thinly slice the onions. In a heavy pan, over low heat, warm a thin film of oil, add the onions and sweat, stirring occasionally, for five minutes. Roughly chop the red chilli and 600g of the tomatoes, then blitz the remainder in a food processor or blender, to a thick scarlet slush.

Add the sugar to the pan and continue to cook until the onions are dark and sweet, then add the vinegar and both chopped and blitzed tomatoes. Bring to the boil, add the star anise, lower the heat and continue cooking at a moderate simmer. Finely grind the Szechuan peppercorns, stir them in, followed by the ground paprika, mustard seeds and Dijon mustard. Add a good grinding of salt, then continue to simmer for 15 minutes, until the tomatoes will collapse when pressed against the side of the pan with a spoon.

Remove the ketchup from the heat, spoon into clean jars, seal, cool and refrigerate.

MUSHROOM KETCHUP
A thick, slightly rough textured ketchup to accompany grilled steak or lamb. Makes 300-400ml.

small mushrooms 250g
garlic 3 cloves, peeled
cider vinegar 3 tbsp
caster sugar 3 tbsp
spring onions 5, finely chopped
anchovy fillets 15
large gherkins 3
Dijon mustard 2 tbsp

In a food processor combine the mushrooms, garlic and cider vinegar to a coarse purée then scrape into a heavy saucepan over a moderate heat. Stir in the sugar and spring onions and simmer, stirring regularly till the onions have softened. Ignore the slightly unappetising look - it is early days.

Roughly chop the anchovy fillets and gherkins, add to the pan with a generous grinding of black pepper, and continue to cook for 10 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the mustard, stir and leave to simmer for a further 5 minutes. Adjust the seasoning, it should be sweet, sharp and salty, then serve with grilled steaks or lamb.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you for the recipes….that's a lot of skins left unwhizzed in the tomato one though; how well did they break down ? usually I'd skin them before using, or totally blitz them.

The mushroom one I'm sure will appeal to many, but see those wee fishy bits ? :yuck: sorry, not for me.

Isn't the variety of sauce recipes astonishing ? :)

M

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
When I did the tomatoes I followed the recipe fully, they'd cooked down pretty well, but there was some texture - but seeing as we were spooning it on and not getting it out of a bottle it didn't matter. You could always blitz it down at the end or skin them first I suppose for a smoother sauce.
Anchovies in sauce, I'll be honest I just didn't tell the wife or kids - it's there as a middle class version of salt, I reckon.

I'm still a sucker for old school HP sauce, and it's nearly bonfire night. Pork pie, HP and some mushy peas on the side, a good beer and burning stuff - the best sauce night in the world.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Blimey, thank you everyone... I wasn't even sure I'd get a reply, let alone recipes and so much advice.

I love the idea of getting the kids involved in making it... they get to see what is going into the sauces they're eating.

My concerns aren't really about the calories or even the salts/sugars in commercial sauces, its everything else they plonk in there... we noticed a difference, particularly with our sons, to their behaviour when they've had certain sauces and I don't want to just say no to sauces.

Going to have a natter with the kids when they get home from school/college, see what they want to try making first :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Dave, salt, sugar and acid are the preservatives in sauce. So if we remove one, we may have to up another or preserve in a different way (E.g by freezing, canning etc.)

The recipes are many and varied. Vinegar wise, they are all 5% acetic acid so choice is down to taste rather than effect. Increasingly I prefer less refined sugars (muscovado etc) and wine or cider based vinegars. That's a taste thing though. It's pretty much

Prep
Cook
Strain
Bottle

I can do a ketchup tutorial over Winter if there's interest.

Yeh cool, Thanks Red, Ill try that one anyway. Wierdly miss the little things like ketchup more than beer!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Blimey, thank you everyone... I wasn't even sure I'd get a reply, let alone recipes and so much advice.

I love the idea of getting the kids involved in making it... they get to see what is going into the sauces they're eating.

My concerns aren't really about the calories or even the salts/sugars in commercial sauces, its everything else they plonk in there... we noticed a difference, particularly with our sons, to their behaviour when they've had certain sauces and I don't want to just say no to sauces.

Going to have a natter with the kids when they get home from school/college, see what they want to try making first :)

When my two were little there wasn't much support for a child who had a hellish reaction to Azo dyes, and those damned things were in everything back then. To someone who doesn't react then it seems silly how such a tiny trace can affect someone and they often think it's 'all in the mind'. It's not, it's a demonstrable reaction and it's to be avoided where possible.
If the reaction is enough that you can notice it, then it's real. Nowadays it's easy to source ingredients to make for oneself, and there are masses of folks on here who are brilliant at recipes and the like. I don't think I've ever met so many creative menfolk or such able cooks :D

M

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I dont exactly make my own sauces but I do stuff based on Mayonaise...things like Tatare sauce and thousand island dressing.

Getting them involved...well, they will have to like it then, wont they?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I dont exactly make my own sauces but I do stuff based on Mayonaise...things like Tatare sauce and thousand island dressing.

You do know that thousand island dressing is just salad cream mixed with tomato ketchup? :yuck:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You do know that thousand island dressing is just salad cream mixed with tomato ketchup? :yuck:

Well; close anyway, but a lot sweeter:

[h=3]Ingredients Nutrition[/h]Servings 5 Units US

• [SUP]1[/SUP]⁄[SUB]2[/SUB] cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
  • 1 teaspoon white onion, finely minced
  • [SUP]1[/SUP]⁄[SUB]8[/SUB] teaspoon salt
  • 1 dash black pepper
  • [h=3]Directions[/h]
    • Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Stir well.
    • Place dressing in a covered container and refrigerate for several hours, stirring occasionally, so that the sugar dissolves and the flavors blend.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, you could do it that way...

3/4 mayo
1/4 tartare
enough tomato sauce to turn it pink
dash lemon juice.

is what I use

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well, you could do it that way...

3/4 mayo
1/4 tartare
enough tomato sauce to turn it pink
dash lemon juice.

is what I use

Simple and to the point recipe. I like it. Are you referring to tartar sauce (the fish condiment with pickle relish already in it) or cream of tartar?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...All suggestions considered :D..."

Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce is the only bottled sauce on the table when my kids eat (nippy sauce as my son calls it). As far as I am aware the Lea & Perrins version contains nothing that was developed in a lab. We make lots of curries and such in bulk and freeze them and as they contain a sauce there is no need to add anything else.

:)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce is the only bottled sauce on the table when my kids eat (nippy sauce as my son calls it). As far as I am aware the Lea & Perrins version contains nothing that was developed in a lab. We make lots of curries and such in bulk and freeze them and as they contain a sauce there is no need to add anything else.

:)

To be fair I've seen a fair few commercial condiments with nothing artificial on the ingredients list. It does take some label reading though and a problem over here being most have switched to high fructose corn syrup for the sweetener. But the unsweetened ones such as mustard or mayo are relatively easy to find.

All that said, it's hard to get around the fun the OP will have making them with his kids.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Ever since I discovered that many brands of tomato paste are derived from Roma tomatoes, I've bought little else.
For fast skinning, cut a cross in the bottom tip of each one. Lower gently into boiling water for no more than 3 minutes.
Out to cool, the skins should peel off in 4 pieces.

Kid-tested sauces: a long and winding road. I asked for critique every time, making written notes for changes.

Mix 2 tbsp Italian Mixed herbs with 500ml good olive oil. Let stand with the occassional shake for 2 weeks.
Best on baked potato and grilled chicken.

I have a dehydrator/food drier. Dry a case of Roma tomatoe halves. Pack 500ml jars and flood with the herbed olive oil.
I had to hide those!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
We use very little red or brown sauce, a bottle of each perhaps every two or three months. I enjoy making salad dressings and Mayonnaise and aioli/garlic mayo; my grand children love that and they will dip raw veg in and lap it up, goes really well with things like baked spuds. You can also cook with salad dressings.

Dewi, get your children involved in making mayo and salad dressings, open them up to different flavors.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE