VESUVIUS by S. Mitchell_review (lot of pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
I’m using VESUVIUS knife by S. Mitchell since few weeks, so it's time now for a review

f29btt.jpg

Here the details of Vesuvius project http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?200491-Vesuvius!&highlight=vesuvius

Some specs:
blade length 103mm
OAL 225mm
blade thickness 5,0mm
steel SF100
full flat grind, sporting a secondary bevel
camo G10 scales, with two swaged 10mm tubes and a single 8mm

214dxg4.jpg

1cksl.jpg

42jiq.jpg

333efqc.jpg

33dyus8.jpg

Vesuvius is a compact, sturdy fixed blade, designed for survival, bushcraft and outdoor activities
Here below some pics for comparison with several well-known knives
2q8ocjd.jpg

vy4fvm.jpg

k3t1rn.jpg

oppuvn.jpg

2poy36c.jpg

2u5xoo9.jpg

Vesuvius is comfortable in the hand, the G10 "Coca Cola bottle" shaped scales make him safe and easy to handling
j6o60w.jpg

Vesuvius works nicely both cutting and carving woods
28m1hyd.jpg

2whmob6.jpg

ylbut.jpg

ndlddx.jpg

It's easy making feathers with Vesuvius
egbqye.jpg

2s638uv.jpg

28khkbt.jpg

vfav6c.jpg

15xqp20.jpg

Vesuvius tip is very robust, you may use it without any issue
20feptj.jpg

6f5ytz.jpg

Swaged tubes may be used to lash Vesuvius to a stick, for an emergency spear
15hna02.jpg

2popkp3.jpg

zm074n.jpg

2dr53s1.jpg

2zz71x2.jpg

xf1elu.jpg

Vesuvius blade, thick 5,0mm, is long and strong enough for batoning without any issues
skz6kh.jpg

20potp2.jpg

rwl0ld.jpg

Vesuvius is good on precise and fine works too, i.e. making traps
34hxbia.jpg

160rgvp.jpg

9iuyww.jpg

v6pts4.jpg

33042es.jpg

icsmr7.jpg

bhf808.jpg

rlana1.jpg

Here below how the trap realized with Vesuvius works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGmA2DehPhM

I like a lot the camo scales, anyway they make the knife hard to see if you lost the knife in the woods
287gf2f.jpg

There are several great knife out there, VESUVIUS is one of them for sure, an affordable knife for survivalist and bushcrafters, in my opinion. I'm really satisfied about this project. The maker, Mr. Stuart Mitchell from Sheffield (UK), made a stunning job, as usual. I thanks him a lot.

Enjoy your Bushcraft!!

AD

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
without a reference I thought the knife to be too big and bulky, but it really looks like a very capable all-rounder (thick spine but still a good carver). Great pics!

Agreed. Unless the Spyderco is a very large folder the SM fixed blade is much, much smaller than I first thought.

Its growing on me.

K

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It's a lovely looking and obviously capable knife. Personally, 5mm is a bit too thick for me; I love the curved shape of the edge but wonder whether about the depth of the blade. Does it make it tricky to manoeuvre when carving turns or doing butchery? You also say that it's "affordable" - dare I ask how "affordable" it is?

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Today I resharpened VESUVIUS to obtain even more cutting efficiency: he cut like a razor. Wanted to try it on batoning task, and check the edge after
2irkdqr.jpg

Started with a dry, old and super-hard wood: not any issue with the edge, but the striker broke out in pieces so I had to stop
11avjvm.jpg

2i96ulh.jpg

Then, I batoned a 2" branch of green wood: Vesuvius chopped it like butter
124j0w6.jpg

Here the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj8...bubb4zyzbgvzdf&google_view_type#gpluscomments

After that, a careful look at the edge show no damages at all, and Vesuvius still cut paper like a laser
vg79k9.jpg

2lnigpz.jpg

t7j3th.jpg

2ep3vvs.jpg

1085nvc.jpg

Enjoy your Bushcraft, from me and my puppy Charlie!
j5azwn.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a beautiful knife :D and it fits the whole bushcrafter ideal spot on, I reckon.

That's one beautiful puppy too though :D He's going to grow up to be a great dog and brilliant companion, isn't he ?

Thanks for the photos :D and the review.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE