Very expensive backpack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Was nearly tempted but it has no pockets for GPS, water bladder or mobile phone!

Now I'm thinking I should put my Karrimor away for 60 years!!

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
That's the only time period that I'd have bought a Duluth pack.

I can't see the attraction of a heavy rucsac that weighs four times as much when it's wet, lets all of your kit get wet, will rot if it remains wet for an extended period of time and takes a lightyear to dry out.

Ok, if you're REALLY careful with it, it'll last a lifetime (or several in this case), but for the price of them, you could buy yourself a good quality modern pack every ten years and still have change.

On the plus side, you could use a Duluth pack as an emergency Millbank bag, if you can put up with water that tastes like old canvas smells.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Well at least you get "FREE P&P USPS Priority Mail International".

Much like some other items that come up on sale. It's worth whatever someone will pay for it.

Cheers,
Steve

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

I can't see the attraction of a heavy rucsac that weighs four times as much when it's wet, lets all of your kit get wet, will rot if it remains wet for an extended period of time and takes a lightyear to dry out.

I made a copy, from some linnen canvas I had laying around . It is a great canoe pack (IMHO), with space for plenty of stuff inside. If you fill it with food and stoves you will break your back, but with a reindeer skin -- packed waterproof! -- a blanket, a tarp and some spare clothes as well as the pot, axe and food for a week it is quite ok on portages, and packs neaty into the canoe. As to the canvas in the wet, Bill Mason made the observation that it will dry out on it's own, which is more than a totally waterproof bag will.

Not a waterpoof bag, no a bag for long portages or hiking, but quite nice on most canoe trips.

And the price is one of those ebay "someone *could* pay it" deals, same as the "classic Land Rover Defender from 1969, only £15000" one sees.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I made a copy, from some linnen canvas I had laying around . It is a great canoe pack (IMHO), with space for plenty of stuff inside. If you fill it with food and stoves you will break your back, but with a reindeer skin -- packed waterproof! -- a blanket, a tarp and some spare clothes as well as the pot, axe and food for a week it is quite ok on portages, and packs neaty into the canoe. As to the canvas in the wet, Bill Mason made the observation that it will dry out on it's own, which is more than a totally waterproof bag will.

Not a waterpoof bag, no a bag for long portages or hiking, but quite nice on most canoe trips.

On some of the trips that I've been on a canvas pack ( and it's contents ) wouldn't have the chance to get dry.
I've also read lots of historical reports that complain of soaking wet gear, stopping on dry days when they could have been paddling to dry their gear, and having to lay branches inside the canoe to hold the packs out of bilge water caused by rain or waves.
Where they do score is something that you mentioned above, how neatly they pack into the canoe.

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales

Ok, if you're REALLY careful with it, it'll last a lifetime (or several in this case), but for the price of them, you could buy yourself a good quality modern pack every ten years and still have change.

On the plus side, you could use a Duluth pack as an emergency Millbank bag, if you can put up with water that tastes like old canvas smells.

yea but it's traditional innit.............:approve:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE