Very dissapointed with ALPKIT (Pipedream sleeping bags)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
having decided to buy a pipedream 400 sleeping bag from Alpkit, months ago, i found that they were out of stock, however having checked their ''stock notification'' on their website it stated that they would expect them to be available in November 2011 so i decided to be patient and wait till November instead of buying elsewhere, as November grew closer i got exited about finally being able to buy the bag, however having checked their ''stock notification'' once more i was dismayed to see that they were now saying the item would not be available in November after all but in January 2012. As i had waited for months having been told they were expected in November and then being told it would be January instead i have to say i am very dissapointed with Alpkit, i emailed them (today) to clarify the situation and they confirmed that it would not be available in November like they originally said but January instead. What's the point in advertising something you can't actually buy, having to wait for many months and then being told you have to wait a further 2-3 months is frankly very poor.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Traditionally Alpkit have always had a batch come in around November time, they must be having manufacturer issues out in Asia again.

It's most likely out of their hands.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I do feel sorry for Alpkit at times... Its almost like popularity will be their undoing (as far as the bags go)

They are great to deal with, the best customer service (including one or two others) I have come across but its almost physically impossible to buy products from them at times.

Sadly, the budget range of Skyehighs are no longer budget eather. Shame really.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
if you had paid for it already alpkit are the kind of company that would refund you and then contact you when it was finally in stock, good lads and good kit to boot.

- no affiliation just always a happy customer.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
On the plus side they mentioned earlier in the year that they were looking at moving to a different manufacturer who could provide more stock more often.

Bush Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2009
New Forest
I can understand the dissapointment but the title seems a little harsh for the circumstances. I'm sure they would love to sell you stuff but businesses gets hit by manufacturing delays. Sounds like they've done what they can. Always been a satisfied customer myself and have been waiting for a sleeping bag as well

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
thanks for input guys. I'm just dissapointed at not being able to buy from them, i was prepared to wait till November but then to be told it would actually be January instead (after already waiting months) is extremely dissapointing, regarding the company they have always emailed me back unlike some companys who rarely reply to emails so they are good in that respect with communications, however in reply to ''melonfish'' being good kit is irrelevant if you can't actually get to buy it, so unlike him i am not a happy customer myself having waited for months then being told it will be even more months. There was one on ebay the other day but i didn't bid for it as i thought i'd wait till November and get a brand new one direct from Alpkit so was particulary dissapointed after missing that then being told by Alpkit that they wouldn't be available in November after all, sod's law i suppose. In reply to ''treefrog'', thanks for that link, i will look at it as i now have to look elsewhere as i am tired of waiting months for Alpkit's stock, i like their stuff, shame i can't actually buy it.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
In reply to bush matt, i was dissapointed because they said they would be available in November, so i decided to wait till November, now they say it will be January, when January comes round will they then say March or something, they said November so i expected November, hence dissapointment at being told not so and more months to wait than originally told.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
In reply to bush matt, i was dissapointed because they said they would be available in November, so i decided to wait till November, now they say it will be January, when January comes round will they then say March or something, they said November so i expected November, hence dissapointment at being told not so and more months to wait than originally told.

They've changed the date 2 months before the original date, so if the date was to move to March I would expect them to update it in November not January. It's not like they've waited till past the due date and then changed it, they've still given plenty of warning, it's just a tad unfortunate for you.

Alpkit-Izzy

Mar 23, 2011
Midlands
Hi Everyone,

We're really sorry about the delay we have had with our PipeDream range. The fabric that we use in the PipeDream range is very popular, not just with you (our customers) but also with other retailers. Some retailers much bigger than us and therefore without having to invest thousands and thousands of pounds into the sleeping bags, it means we are sometimes put to the back of the queue. When we originally gave the November ETA, we thought that would be the latest they'd arrived. Unfortunately the factory have delayed us in getting the material, which has now meant that our slot on the production line has been missed. I can only say that we are doing our very best to get the sleeping bags air freighted here before Christmas, but this also depends on the factory where they're made. We really do share your frustration and I do apologise if we have let people down.

Many Thanks

Izzy

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
To be fair to Alpkit, they do explain their problems here http://www.alpkit.com/colab/notes/pipedream-nightmares - and as they put it,
Because we develop our products and purchase direct from the factory, our lead times for new production are not always as quick as we would like. We also try and ship our products by sea whenever possible. This is obviously much slower than air but helps keep the cost of the products lower and does less damage to the planet.

Boats are slow, and a watched boat never docks.. so we sweat it out. We prefer not to take advanced orders, shipping schedules can change, last minute production runs get delayed.. in short there are many factors we cannot control and so we do not want to have your money stuffed down the back of our sofa.

What we do is make a note of any enquiries, it is as good as reserving the product, and we will let you know as soon as we have them back on our shelves. We also publish the expected delivery date on our site, however for the reasons explained above this is subject to change at anytime.

Frankly, I'm pretty sure their not happy either, and this situation has come up before, since a quick look on the net has someone asking about the waiting list in 2010. A year or two back they posted on Outdoor Magic about stock problems, and this is what they said. They, quite rightly, don't want to over order and end up with cash flow problems, but are of course very popular. Apparently the Pipedeam 400 is one of their best sellers, so supply is always going to be a bit of a problem.
Because of their long lead times and their relative size in the market, they don't get to order extra stuff from the Far East instantly, unlike a bigger brand. The latest example of this is the Rig 7 tarp. After a cracking review from Trail magazine (best value and overall), they sold like hot cakes. They managed to get the factory to run up more pretty quickly, but in different colours (the original kelp and black ones sold out in less than an hour!).

I can certainly understand your frustration (I wanted some dry bags a while back - and yep, they were out of stock), but how about something else? OM had some discussions about the 400, and some people recommended Cumulus and ME Helium's - see what you think http://www.downbags.co.uk/cumulus-ultralight-350.html They are a bit more pricey though. The other possibility is PHD's sale. It should be coming up soon (its normally in September), and perhaps one of their Minim 400's would do fine. £250 normally, but in the sale? Have a quick look at OM's bargain thread or just signup for their email service. As for the bags, have a look at this http://www.petesy.co.uk/phd-factory-visit/ - its like your bag was made by Savile Row!

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
thanks input Alpkit-izzy, thanks for your contribution, i started this thread to simply express my dissapointment at having to wait for so long for your pd sleeping bag, i know you are doing what you can i just wanted to simply express my frustration, if i arranged to let's say meet someone at a particluar time and arrived late no matter how legitimate my reason was that person would nevertheless still be dissapointed at my being late and that's the point i was trying to make, your company has very good communications and the fact you have responded on here so quickly reflects that, your kit is good too and i have bought other items off you always being pleased with quick delivery and the particular item itself, my dissapointment came from the fact that the item was further delayed after waiting for so long already, i do understand your problem and it's just the fact that i can't get hold of your kit which i like that is so frustrating. Thankyou for your response.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Hi Everyone,

We're really sorry about the delay we have had with our PipeDream range. The fabric that we use in the PipeDream range is very popular, not just with you (our customers) but also with other retailers. Some retailers much bigger than us and therefore without having to invest thousands and thousands of pounds into the sleeping bags, it means we are sometimes put to the back of the queue. When we originally gave the November ETA, we thought that would be the latest they'd arrived. Unfortunately the factory have delayed us in getting the material, which has now meant that our slot on the production line has been missed. I can only say that we are doing our very best to get the sleeping bags air freighted here before Christmas, but this also depends on the factory where they're made. We really do share your frustration and I do apologise if we have let people down.

Many Thanks

Izzy

I've happily used Alpkit before and will do again BUT Alpkit seems to order their products- Filo, Sleeping bags, waterproof holdalls to name but a few on a customer demand basis. For any "large" product I have wanted they have been out of stock. Then when the Filo for instance came into stock I didn't get the email until 3 days later and the colours I wanted were sold out.

Their STOCK (not products) system seems fairly poor. I've lost times of the amount of times I've seen a message on their site about being out of stock, moving supply firms/factories etc. Lots of reasons (excuses) but little stock. Personally I am convinced they would sell more if they stocked more!

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
thanks ''old bones'' for your input, thanks for your helpful reply and for providing those links, i will take a look.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I just noticed that Alpkit compare the 400 to a Rab Ascent 500 http://www.planetfear.com/item/Brand_rab-ascent-500-sleeping-bag-_0_0_29924_1.html -at around £160, a little more money, or possibly the ME Xero 350 (nearer £200). The killer is of course finding a similar spec/weight for about the same money - its very difficult, which explains why the Pipedreams are always sold out!

But if you have a price but no stock is it really a price?? Sounds like Alpkit either need to get a better supply agreement in place with the supplier or find another supplier. Or sort out their freight and freight consolidation.From experience it's a PITA waiting for LCL sea freight firstly to get consolidated and then waiting for it to arrive. But I suppose you'd get a quite lot of sleeping bags in a TEU so perhaps that is a bit off putting for Alpkit as you have a lot of cash tie up in stock and a LC with the supplier. Perhaps they should consider freight consolidation in china and then ship down a TEU full of mixed kit IIRC the transit time from a Chinese port such as Yantian to Southampton was about 21 days so that's not that long.But you do need to have a good supply arrangement. Airfreighting something like sleeping bags is a way to kill off your margin very quickly...

I feel a bit for Alpkit really and also the customers....

Last edited:

seg1959

Forager
Feb 8, 2010
Surrey, UK
I must admit I found the title of this thread a bit strong - I expected to find a story of bad customer service, or faulty goods.
Every reseller is in a chain - they depend on their manufacturer, who depends on the material supplier and so on. So as much as they would love to take our money, they cannot sell us what they do not have (although some do try :-( ).
When it come to stock, they can only tell us what their suppliers tell them. Personally, I would be ecstatic if all resellers were as open with their stock situation as Alpkit, and gave us 2 months notice of delays.
Just a happy customer, no connection with Alpkit etc.

seg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE