Versatile kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
Update

I bought the Jevern Kingsize bag and I'm very happy with it, going to put the serape and woobie/doobie on the backburner for now. Still going to get the honey stove and I'm going to try and get the hilleberg U10 tarp.

rg598

Native
I know versatility and multi use items are the catch phrases of the day, but I find that a jack of all trades is an expert at none. I find that more often than not a multi use item leaves me with a tool that is not good at any one task, and I often don't have it when I need it because it is currently being used for something else. In my opinion getting items that are specific for individual tasks gives me better performance for less weight and bulk. That's just me though.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
I'm currently in France and after weeks and weeks of hot sunny weather it's been raining and cold all day, like a winters day. I bought no warm clothing really got the keela belay jacket but still felt cold with just my teeshirt underneath. So I came up with the idea of wearing the King size Jerven underneath my jacket and trousers, it's kept me dry and warm.

Why didn't I think about using it this way in winter time?? With my sasquatch softie coat it would be fantastic in winter, and having it wrapped around my legs is like having salopettes.

Next thing I want to do is make the Jerven into a bag so I can get my stuff on to a Ryan air flight in october.

Other things I have on this trip that I found useful are my 1 litre themos flask, it's bulkier than I would like but great for keeping wine and beer cool when I'm not making hot drinks.

My Lowe Alpine goretex cap today I've had the air flaps out but all this summer I've just tucked them in to the cap, so that it looks like a regular cap.

An ordinary strong shopping bag, very useful, I use it for sitting on, collecting useful things and of course shopping! And finally my shedrain umbrella, it's small compact and strong.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
An ordinary strong shopping bag, very useful, I use it for sitting on, collecting useful things and of course shopping! And finally my shedrain umbrella, it's small compact and strong.

Hi Bushytoo,
Carrying a small range of plastic bags is always handy when travelling but I also have a couple of these. Very light, incredibly strong and waterproof enough too. Like the bags used to carry, sit on, collecting stuff and as an anchor for kit when filled with stuff. LINK
ATB,
GB.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
A jerven under your clothes :D

how did you get your trousers on lol. you know you can use the jerven as a long coat right?

Pretty easily, I zipped the bag half way down put half the bag down one leg and the other half down the other. I lost a lot o weight on this 3 month trip so my trousers are baggy now lol. Yeah could wear as a coat but I don't want to stand out when I'm in town.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
Hi Bushytoo,
Carrying a small range of plastic bags is always handy when travelling but I also have a couple of these. Very light, incredibly strong and waterproof enough too. Like the bags used to carry, sit on, collecting stuff and as an anchor for kit when filled with stuff. LINK
ATB,
GB.

Yeah I was have some plastics bags, need them on a day like today. I also forgot to mention vinegar. Vinegar is fantastic, I got stung by a wasp next day my hand swelled up I put vinegar on it and it cleared up. I use it for washing clothes and washing myself as well.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I know versatility and multi use items are the catch phrases of the day, but I find that a jack of all trades is an expert at none. I find that more often than not a multi use item leaves me with a tool that is not good at any one task, and I often don't have it when I need it because it is currently being used for something else. In my opinion getting items that are specific for individual tasks gives me better performance for less weight and bulk. That's just me though.

It's not just you though! My thoughts are, and have been for some time, the same as yours.

Another trend I have noticed is that people label things as versatile or multiple use when in fact they are very specific things. Fire steels are one that always get me, people say they are versatile. They are not, they just start fires and that's all. They are extremely good at it but that's all they do.

A tarp is a tarp is a tarp, it keeps the elements off you and anything you put under it. Sure, it can be pitched any number of ways but it's still doing the same thing and anything else you ask of it, it will do badly (stretcher, boat hull etc). For me, versatility is[FONT=arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]being capable of doing many things well and it's nearly impossible to pull off.

Bah humbug.

:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE