Ventile shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
A bit of advice please.

Background: I run very hot.On a still day when the temperature is above 5'C I happily walk in just a shirt and trousers.A bit cold for the first 5 minutes but nice and warm after that.In the summer,especially this year,I sweat like a pig with the result that even if it is likely to rain I won't take a coat and just get wet.This is fine if continually moving but not so good when standing still for any length of time.
Question:Will a single layer Ventile shirt be cool enough to wear normally (i.e. no warmer than a standard cotton shirt)and will it be waterproof enough to keep me dry during heavy showers(not prolonged rain)?

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I run hor too and often found ventile my breathable enough even a single layer. Give me a cold day anytime!

New ventile is shower proof - older stuff needs to be treated otherwise you end up with cold, damp cardboard that takes a long time to dry.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
I wouldn't recommend it - in my experience, when ventile gets wet it stays wet especially if it's humid giving you an uncomfortable, clammy feel which can also chill you considerably. I usually just wear a lightweight gtx jacket over a wicking t-shirt.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
A conflicting view, but I much prefer my Ventile (Snowsled Classic) to any membrane-based waterproof/wicking shirt combo, and I've tried a lot over the years. The only thing close is the Marmot DriClime / Buffalo style, a thin synthetic shell with micropile lining, although they have the usual drawbacks around open flames. I generally wear a light wicking top (a Marmot baselayer) under my Ventile and it's stood up to Scottish weather admirably. Single layer material, so it dries surprisingly quickly too particularly when the wind picks up. A matter of taste and use, perhaps, but I have yet to find the alleged stiff and soggy properties of Ventile to be any sort of a drawback.

leon-1

If you are looking at ventile also have a look at the varying different grades/weights. I have a double layer jacket, a single layer windshirt, two normal shirts.

I find the single layer very good in normal conditions with a t-shirt underneath, I have also been caught out in some rather nasty, but short downpours in it (nothing more than an hour or so) and it has stood upto these very well :), in colder conditions you can wear a t-shirt under the normal shirts and if it rains throw the windshirt over the top and it works a bit like a double layer jacket :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE