Ventile or Gortex

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I reckon he was thinkin of that other crud material the RAF used to use. Yunno those blue jackets. 'tex somthing or the other it was called.

Does anyone know if you can get loose ventile material, so you couldmake your own? Or even loose wool material? (Apart from blankets). There must be a stockist or somthing somewhere where they sell off the material.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
the RAF still use ventile. the aircrew immersion suits are made from it (or at least a very similar fabric, i did a side by side comparison and it looks and feels the same)

the "blue crud" is jeltex. awful stuff i was issued one. nasty nasty jacket.
we've since been issued with goretex jackets :D no hood though :(

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Does anyone know if you can get loose ventile material, so you couldmake your own?

Absolutely. Point North retail it (including seconds), but it might be cheaper direct from Talbot Weaving, who manufacture it. Goggle either of those and you're sorted.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Sweet, thanks gregorach. I may have a go at a simple pull over type jacket if i can get some. I like that kind of design.

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Cheap, breatheable waterproof jacket (£30):

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr622.html

and even cheaper (£15):

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr2249.html

I don't know what the're made of though.

Having bought too much kit over the last couple of years, I have come to think that the cheaper the better, as long as the kit works. Funnily enough, there's far more satisfaction when something that isn't that expensive does the job with marginal difference to the expensive kit. As far as jackets go, I opted for a secondhand goretex forest cammo suit (about £30 I remember) so I don't mind if it gets dirty/trashy/burned, it also folds-up nicely for bag stashing. As for ventile, I've heard mixed opinions, as to its qualities, but I feel that the waterproof layer should be cheap, light and stashable.

One of the things that bugs me about Bushcraft is the growing propoganda of marketeers of expensive ventile jackets and the like, remember that woodsmen and foresters got along without these modern fabrics for millennia before they were invented.

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
drstrange said:
One of the things that bugs me about Bushcraft is the growing propoganda of marketeers of expensive ventile jackets and the like, remember that woodsmen and foresters got along without these modern fabrics for millennia before they were invented.

Though I bet that if you had offered your old timey woodsman or your forester a Gore-Tex or ventile jacket he'd have taken it like a shot! :lmao:

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Montivagus said:
Though I bet that if you had offered your old timey woodsman or your forester a Gore-Tex or ventile jacket he'd have taken it like a shot! :lmao:

Yes, but you'd need to build a time machine first to do that, and I don't see why we shold build a time machine, people got along great without them for ages before they were invented. :bluThinki

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
drstrange said:
One of the things that bugs me about Bushcraft is the growing propoganda of marketeers of expensive ventile jackets and the like......

Yes of course you're right. My conversion to Ventile wasn't accompanied by a conversion to spending large amounts of cash - so I bought it by the yard from some place on Anglesey (I think it might have been the Point North mentioned bellow) and added sewing to my bushcraft skills and created my own "designer" gear. More satisfying! ;)

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
The corporate scum try and convince you, that you need this and that, when one of the primary aspects of bushcraft is making things with your hands.

Ventile certainly wouldnt be my choice. Gore-tex in that weather any day.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Pete,

I know Gore-Tex hasn't been around all that long. The point I was trying to make is that it just doesn't last as long. I really hate WPB garments, but unfortuntely, in lots of situations they're the best thing to be wearing. They're crinkly, not very soft and not nearly as breathable as they're marketed as. But they tend you keep you dry...until the DWR wears off and then you're back to being wet. :)

Cheers,

Adam

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Montivagus said:
Yes of course you're right. My conversion to Ventile wasn't accompanied by a conversion to spending large amounts of cash - so I bought it by the yard from some place on Anglesey (I think it might have been the Point North mentioned bellow) and added sewing to my bushcraft skills and created my own "designer" gear. More satisfying! ;)

It's not that I have anything against making and trading, it's just that, before ya know it, the bushy's will be tekked-up to the teeth and will be tip-toeing around the tulips, frightened of scuffing their £750 stealth-moded cybertech utility-smock complete with automatic hood deployment heads-up sat nav. (perhaps that's taking it a little bit too far) :eek:

P.S. I agree, a decent second-hand sewing machine is becomming standard kit.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
drstrange said:
Yes, but you'd need to build a time machine first to do that, and I don't see why we shold build a time machine, people got along great without them for ages before they were invented. :bluThinki

True, although you missed the point slightly there, the comment was IF you could give them one or IF they were available you can pretty much guarantee their use. People get by with what they've got, if things are so great then why do we want them now? Just some thoughts.

We're about to aqcuire an old sewing machines, assuming we can some parts for it, I'll let you know when I know the make and model and see if anyone can help. Definatly think that is the way to go, you can customise till your hearts content then. The hardest part is making or finding the correct pattern.

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Lithril said:
The hardest part is making or finding the correct pattern.

I had an old Vango jacket hanging about, that I used to love and that unfortunately got badly ripped sliding down a hill in the snow (let that be a lesson to us all).
I simply unpicked and de taped it and Bob’s your auntie’s lodger life size pattern to work with. Despite my utter incompetence with the sowing machine the result was pretty good, even if I do say so myself. :naughty:

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Lithril said:
True, although you missed the point slightly there, the comment was IF you could give them one or IF they were available you can pretty much guarantee their use. People get by with what they've got, if things are so great then why do we want them now? Just some thoughts.

We're about to aqcuire an old sewing machines, assuming we can some parts for it, I'll let you know when I know the make and model and see if anyone can help. Definatly think that is the way to go, you can customise till your hearts content then. The hardest part is making or finding the correct pattern.

Yeah, but you could only do that IF you had a time machine (last word freak!) :p

P.S. Sewing machine repair can be quite pricey, I'd shop about a bit.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
drstrange said:
One of the things that bugs me about Bushcraft is the growing propoganda of marketeers of expensive ventile jackets and the like, remember that woodsmen and foresters got along without these modern fabrics for millennia before they were invented.[

P.S. I agree, a decent second-hand sewing machine is becomming standard kit./QUOTE]

They also used to sew stuff by hand as they didn't have the technical luxury of sewing machines...:lmao:

foul

Sep 21, 2006
u.k
thx spacemonkey ,remember i tried to start a thread on the subject few weeks ago with no success i had to surrender . lol

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Spacemonkey said:
They also used to sew stuff by hand as they didn't have the technical luxury of sewing machines...:lmao:

Some of us still do... I spent a total of about 12 hours last week sewing goretex patches on the kness of my moleskins. Man, that goretex is hard work!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE