Ventile durability

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mbiraman

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2011
West Kootenays,BC
I just received my first ventile smock . I know many of the folks here use ventile and i'd like to get an idea of what i can and cannot do as far as being in the bush is concerned. I won't be running through thorny patches but i do walk off trail quite a bit. Your advise would be helpful.
thanks
bill

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My Ventile jackets get used for all sorts - including harvesting brambles for basket weaving - and have not yet shown any damage from wearing in rough country.
The main source of damage is wearing through on folds and drawcord areas where the fabric is rucked.
I have just had to repair a Ventile smock that has had the edges of the cuffs wear through after (I think) 8 years hard wear.
Other repairs on this smock have been -top pocket corners where stiching has burst through when over forced and a hanging loop ripped out when someone at work did something silly but did not let me know and I had to find my jacket ripped without anyone saying anything...
The Glory of Ventile is that all these bits of wear/damage are easy to repair using a domestic sewing machine!

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I agree with John :) Ventile's very, very good, but it does rub through at folds and gathers, eventually; sometimes it fails after years of stress on pocket corners (expecially if the owner is a hands in his pockets pulling down on the fabric type).

That said, I do mean years of use, and how many of us have delaminated modern jackets :rolleyes: so it's all relative. Ventile takes abuse that the nylon based jackets just don't, and the ventile is very repairable, unlike delaminated jackets :sigh:
HWMBLT still has a ventile jacket that's in useable nick after nearly thirty years of wear. It's had repairs for everything from acid splashes (science teacher) to a pocket corner, to a new channel for the waist draw cord, but it's still sound, and looks fine if a little faded.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have two rips in mine. One from catching the inside back of the jacket in the boly of a gun when lying on top of it as a shooting mat, the other in the hem from barbed wire. Both were invisibly mended by my wife and its as good as new. Its about five or six years old and has been covered in blood, manure, black powder and sundry other horrors. It washes out and just keeps going

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE