ventile bivy bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Done a lot of searching and can find no such beast so I reckon I'm getting geared up to make one. Any suggestions? Anyone know where there are any patterns or drawings? I'm looking at L24 for the top and coated cordura for the bottom.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Funny thing is, i have a little project in progress at the mo - i had a hankering for a sas smock in ventile, and thought the "obvious" one was a little on the expensive side. So i have ordered a couple of S95 jackets to cannibalize for the buttons (15 quid total), a sas smock to take apart for the pattern - finding a grade 2 one is hard you know !!(38 quid).
Then it came to the material. I thought "I'm not a small bloke ", so i ordered 6 metres of L24 :rolleyes:
Any way, my resident sewing expert reckons i wouldn't need anywhere near that amount (DOH !!), so i am going to have some left over for another project.

I was thinking maybe a pair of trousers, but that would mean dressing completely in green, so maybe - just maybe.......Hmmmmm

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Wayland said:
I've been thinking along these lines too but I would like to do it in L28.
Do you think there would be enough interest on this forum for a group buy to meet the minimum order?

If your thinking of green, then be aware that pointnorth don't do it anymore, according to the mail i got from them. Besides, Talbot are half the price :D

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Good man Viking! Interesting link. There is also a ventile anorak on that site. Are they selling the anorak or the pattern for the anorak?

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello :)
"Design and Make Expedition Equipment" by Don Robertson (ISBN 0 905425 07 3) was recommended by another member (havingagiraffe) in an earlier thread about ventile smocks. I managed to get it through amazon for about £6 including postage and it seems to be pretty good. It is slightly dated but there is plenty of good information about choice of materials and there relative properties and some simple but pretty clear instructions for making various outdoor clothes,packs, bivi bags and tents etc.
I guess it's out of print so if you can't get hold of it, let me know and i can try and give you more info. or even lend you my copy if needs be.
hope this helps :)

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Big John said:
I've not heard of ventile before - sounds like good stuff.

i found this - http://www.talbot-weaving.co.uk/ , very informative but no online purchasing.

innocent bystander - can you direct us somewhere else?

Not really. Doesn't seem to be anywhere else to get the stuff in the uk. All you need to do is email them with your requirements, and they will send you an invoice. Pay them and they send you the material. As an example, at point north they were quoting 26 quid for a metre of first grade 200gram ventile. The L24 which is similar is 11 quid ex tax from talbot direct. I have read somewhere here that there is a limit on how much you can order - something like 10 metres, but i haven't tried that..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE