Vehicle wild camping.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bilko 123

Aug 13, 2009
warrington
Evening all,this is my first real post since coming on board.
So I'm gonna look stupid when I ask my question so.....here goes.

I drive a five door Land rover Discovery and I'm looking at using this as a base whilst greenlaning and wild camping,I already have some basic equipment and I'm wondering what else I'll need.

List of equipment I already own.
Small axe
Large axe
Bow saw
Hammock
Tarp
Trangia stove
Kelly kettle
Sleeping bag
Fishing rod and reels
Survival bags(green and red)
Survival tin
Matchettee

Plus a number of other items but there for normal camping!
So what else would you advise that I'll need to get?

Cheers Bilko.

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
DDepends how hard the green lanes are and how wild the camping.
I've done a lot of off road stuff mainly in landrovers and shoguns. Knowing where I am going and the problems to be solved dictates what equipment I carry.
Prior Preperation and Planning Prevents Pi** Poor Performance

That said, the high lift jack with suitable straps and cables is a versatile tool for lifting, winching and bending trees for shelter is one of my must carries.

Bilko 123

Aug 13, 2009
warrington
DDepends how hard the green lanes are and how wild the camping.
I've done a lot of off road stuff mainly in landrovers and shoguns. Knowing where I am going and the problems to be solved dictates what equipment I carry.
Prior Preperation and Planning Prevents Pi** Poor Performance

That said, the high lift jack with suitable straps and cables is a versatile tool for lifting, winching and bending trees for shelter is one of my must carries.

Forgot got one of them and a 6 mtr long strop.

I'm looking at mainly equipment for bushcraft/wild camping.

H

He' s left the building

If I'm using a vehicle my extra items are usually better cooking gear, more food/water and a huge sleeping mat.

I also like to keep my gear in holdalls and plastic boxes so I can find stuff easier than rummaging about in my pack.

Welcome to the forum BTW, keep the questions coming, I've passively learnt a lot by reading others questions and I'm sure I've asked a few basic ones of my own!

You should have a shovel. In fact, you should have a small folding shovel in your camp gear and a full sized shovel in the vehicle.

If you'll go out in significant snow or mud, tire chains can be useful. At the very least, you should have good mud + snow tires on the vehicle.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Hi Bilko, you got that potstand made for the kettle yet?

As far as the laning is concerned the best piece of kit you can take is another landy.....not that you need that pointing out!

I know others may not percieve what you have in mind here as bushcraft and wild camping in the way they percieve it, but then again not everyone is fit enough to walk, let alone carry kit to anything like a remote(ish) area and a 4x4 gives the rest of us a semblance of mobility fitter people enjoy.

The main difference really is the fact that you will have your motor with you at your campsite, or at least close to hand.........

So you really have more than a basic kit and have the ability to take more if you wish.....like, however many gallons of fresh water!

I would say that with what you have you I can't think of anything else you would need, given the areas you are restricted to with a 4x4.

Smoggy.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
My suggestion would be for some kind of firepan or a BBQ pan on legs. With this you can have a decent fire for warmth, light, and is great for cooking on and keeping the beasties away like the dreaded midgie and leaves no ground trace or scorching. Also an electric cool box which will keep fresh rations and milk etc. and perhaps even a dutch oven, too heavy to lug about on yer back but an excellent cooking pot for bread or bannock, stews and the like.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
are you planning on camping on a site or on/just of the lanes/

Only ask as there is almost no where in England that you can legally camp on/next to the lanes - Walna Scar Rd may be. Remember that you can only leave a single carriage width road by a max of 4m and then only to let vehicles pass or if you breakdown, not parking up for the night.

I've been looking in to this one and with out stirring up the land owners or boddleies its going to hard t odo 100% legal.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
EdS is correct in his assessment of the legal implications......however.....

Green lanes often provide access to other areas which may be used with the land owners permittion, and some lanes are more than one lane wide!

As always, seek permition where aproprioate, and leave no trace you have been there, but it is all too easy to fall foul of the law.

Smoggy.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Hi Bilko
Wildcamping from a car just means you can take some of life's luxuries.
I have to agree with the other chaps here
gives you the space to take things you wouldn't want to carry far

Like a firegrill and base
extra of drinking water, (beer)
coolbox for food
wood for an open fire
dutch ovens
coffee pots
the list can go on and on and on
it comes down to what you want and have room to take
scott

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Hi Bilko and welcome to the forum,

My mate has a rather cool roof tent atop his Discovery. . . not cheap but cool and pretty useful! Especially if there be lions! [which is pretty unlikely in this country . . . . perhaps an angry lost tabby??]

Drew

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Hi Bilko and welcome to the forum,

My mate has a rather cool roof tent atop his Discovery. . . not cheap but cool and pretty useful! Especially if there be lions! [which is pretty unlikely in this country . . . . perhaps an angry lost tabby??]

Drew

Hi Welshwhit
You have just reminded me of a weekend camping in Scotland when a driver turned up with his nice new roof tent
Only to discover that the mesh on the tent was designed for some rather large mozzies and not the dreaded scottish midge.
Lol did we have a laugh about that after he had left
scott

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hi Bilko
Wildcamping from a car just means you can take some of life's luxuries.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was a camp for Brenda and myself at Waberthwaite :- http://waberthwaite.com/details.html

Wab-camp.jpg

Lincs Bushman

Aug 15, 2009
Lincolnshire
My son and I do quiete a bit of 'wild drive camping', and one thing we always make sure we take, is our home made firepit (out of an old barbecue, with legs shortened) and a nights supply of firewood, always finishes the day off, sat by a safe fire, watching the sun set etc etc.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE