Vehicle , base camp cook kit .

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Just started looking at my vehicle and base camp cook kit for a trip later this year ,
heres mine ,
2009_0619wolf0020.jpg

2009_0619wolf0019.jpg

All zarges boxes brought from Anchor supplies over the years ,
Bottom one is the food store keeps it all dry and safe,
One top one has the brew kit in , kettle, stove, cups , spoon , chopping bourd for lunch time sarnies ,
The other has the group cook kit in pots, pans ,plates , fry pan , plus bin bags and washing up liquid .

What little bits and pieces do you carry in your to make life comfy on the road?

Twodogs

Last edited:

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Nice set-up - I'm a sucker for well packed boxes / drawers etc. any chance of some pic's of your van?..... that looks equally well thought out and set up.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Nice set-up - I'm a sucker for well packed boxes / drawers etc. any chance of some pic's of your van?..... that looks equally well thought out and set up.

i woul,nt mind seeing that as well Twodogs,are those boxes hard to come by and are they expensive?

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
The vehicles nowt special its a Toyota landcruiser on good tyres that will be serviced before the trip .
My zarges boxes came from Anchor supplies some time back and were about £25 each at that time .
Zarges boxes arnt cheap but you only buy one as thay dont snap ..
best place for them is EBAY.DE ( German ebay ) even with the shipping thay will be cheaper than the UK , most are ex-German army but a bit of paint stripped gets them back to shiny alloy.

Anyway any bits and bobs to make life easier in my cook kit?

Twodogs

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Tidy setup fella

Most of my kit lives in baskets which we pulled out of some fitted wardrobes.

Where are you headed on the trip ?

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Wish I had a vehicle big enough to take those boxes. :)

In my boot permanently I have:

Gas stove and full cartridge
Water Bottle
Metal Mug and spoon
2 in 1 Coffee sachets
Box of Matches
Back up Hexi-burner
Couple of boil in the bag meals
Dextrose Tablets
Wind-up Radio

As for long road trips and a Base Camp set up I would add

20 Litre Jerry can
Jerry Can Firebox and grill
Dutch Oven
Bag of Kindling
Couple of Crackle Logs

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I'm putting a kit very much like this together, but a little larger. My camping kit is bigger and better quality that anything I have in my kitchen at home!
I Picked up three flight cases at the local tip. One of them I've divided up to take plates, bowls, cutlery, a kettle and other bits and bobs. The next one will be chopping boards, knives and other food prep stuff and the third I'm planning on putting the pots and pans in. I'm going to knock some ply boxes up for food storage.
I love those boxes though, they look the business.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Nice set up. Ive got all the usuall winter kit at the mo, some tools, clothes ect, in a large ammo box.

Only problem is I keep eating the emergency rations when theres no snow! Well those flapjacks might go off, and I might get thin :)

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Snap (almost) Mines a 3 ltr turbo 5 speed + diff lock with the twin batteries.

DSCF0138.jpg

The only thing duff on them is the Auto locking hubs which pack a sad from time to time..... Fit manuals....

Tis a choice bit of kit.... Are you towing the Disco??

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
All my kit is thrown all over the spare bed, spare bedroom floor, dining room, main bedroom and anywhere else I could sling it after a trip or when tidying up for family visiting. I wish I was organised like you. I often come back from a trip knackered and it is only about a week later that I realised my tent is still packed up. Fortunately with modern tents they seem to resist mildew and rotting quite well.

Looking forward to a spring and summer of trips, long weekends and general days out in the hills. If we have a good summer it is my intention to live in the Lakes all summer from friday night till sunday evening before work commitments mean I have to go home. Apart from some jaunts to foreign parts (mostly Scotland but if I'm brave Wales too).

Twodogs and Johnboy, it wasn't one of you churning up the tracks around the Skelwith Bridge to Coniston area over the Christmas / New years period? Whoever it was looked like they were in a group and just seemed to keep going past us all the time as we were walking through the snow and ice heading for the hills. Seemed to be enjoying it and I did too seeing the less experienced 4x4ers getting stuck where another had just cruised over. I guess off road driving is a skill like any other type of driving and not everyone has it.

BTW was that a derogatory comment on the disco needing towing because it could not handle the terrain?

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Paul It was not me up your way I have done a lot of green lane driving in the past , mainly Wales and a trip to Morroco,
But due to changes in the law and the fact that I enjoy being in the woods without the motor nowaday off road driving just for fun is a thing of the past,
Long trips overland trips require good kit disapline or at the end of the day its no fun digging for your kit .
Twodogs

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Twodogs and Johnboy, it wasn't one of you churning up the tracks around the Skelwith Bridge to Coniston area over the Christmas / New years period?

No not me for a couple of reasons:

1. It's a long drive I estimate approx 6-months allowing for fast transit times on the seabourne legs.
2. I was at the location below over Xmas and New Year....

IMG_2314.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE