Trangia army kit - Why all the new pans?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
I've been looking at the Trangia Swedish ex-army cook sets, current for sale.
It seems that the majority of them are sold with new pans, from an after market company.
So I was wondering why this was??

The only explanation I can think of, is that the Swedish mil bin the cooking pots when the kit is returned to stores. Then issue new pots to the next recipient? So the bits that are pensioned off to the surplus market are just the base and burner.
And there must have been quite a market for these, for someone to go to the bother of making new pans!

Can anyone shed any light on this.
(I use the word 'shed', as in the little wooden hut in the garden!)

Jules

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
Various East German and similar origin pan sets get put together with the original Swedish stove. Some sellers are open about this, others confused or reticent about details.

That's not to say there's anything wrong with the pans, just that they don't quite fit, usually.

Militarymart, for instance, pair Swedish stoves with Danish pans.

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
Could the whole set be a reproduction of the army kit? The original bases are stamped with three crowns and a number.

There are a mix of offerings on ebay, by the trade/surplus people. Most say that the ali pans are new from 'Mil-Tec', with varying repro/original; windshields and burner/bottles.
All original kits seem to be rare, usually private sale (though MM look to have a few more in). And the stainless.... comes from rocking horses.

I was mainly just nosy to know where all the original pots went.

(And 'shed' could be persuaded to do dual duty as a verb, if we ask it nicely.)

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
As a swede and having done my service I'm not surprised. Those stoves were really treated with "tender loving care". Pots were dented, crooked and usually had thick layers of burned something.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE